DTC P1174 Fuel Trim Cylinder Balance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This popped up on the avalanche a few months ago, I deleted it and it stayed off for a while and came back on. Its random and doesnt seem to change the performance. Google search is typical, nothing much other than the symptoms it can cause. Anyone have this issue or know a common solution?

OP
OP
pwtr02ss

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, I dont have any updates or solutions but the CEL went off on its own yesterday. Maybe it fixed its self lol

OP
OP
pwtr02ss

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Came back on the other day. Had to clear the code with a scan tool. Any new info out there?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

I am amazed that you haven't posted any info about trying to diagnose this problem. I found more than symptoms immediately. I found what should be looked at to try and figure out the problem. You are giving no mileage of your avy or hen last tune related work done or any testing you may have done. NO, they don't fix themselves. When was last time the MAF was cleaned? Last time throttle body cleaned? Look for a vacuum leak? Type of fuel you run and the octane? Fuel system cleaner ever ran thru it or injection cleaning done?

OP
OP
pwtr02ss

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I am amazed that you haven't posted any info about trying to diagnose this problem. I found more than symptoms immediately. I found what should be looked at to try and figure out the problem. You are giving no mileage of your avy or hen last tune related work done or any testing you may have done. NO, they don't fix themselves. When was last time the MAF was cleaned? Last time throttle body cleaned? Look for a vacuum leak? Type of fuel you run and the octane? Fuel system cleaner ever ran thru it or injection cleaning done?

Thank you for your helpful reply. When I initially made the thread, the search results yielded zero threads with this code. Fast forward to today, I found other threads regarding the same code. None of those threads had any resolution, so I thought I'd give this gem the ol' bump and see if any fresh eyes would chime in.

Of course I googled the code, watched the video you posted (thank you by the way) last year when this code popped up. Before I could do any of the testing, the light went off and has stayed off for the last 45k miles. As for diagnosing, I have done zero. Almost every single thread I saw, people had thrown all of the common parts (O2 sensors, MAF, plugs, wires, injectors, etc), yet none seemed to fix it. As with many codes on these vehicles, generally one part fails and there are a million threads with the answer. This being somewhat (seemingly) uncommon, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask (mind you, 2 years later) if anyone had any common solutions.

As for the truck, it has 197k miles, air filter(WIX) has about 25k miles on it, plugs have 90k(AC Delco OEM replacement), the plug wires have about 40k miles (AC Delco OEM replacement), the oxygen sensors are original. The STFT are within a few % of each other. When scanning them last night, nothing seemed off or blatantly obvious, from bank one and two. The truck doesn't run rough, misfire, nothing. The light comes on and thats extent of the symptoms.

I have ordered a new air filter, I'll clean the MAF, and I run some fuel treatment through it this weekend. At 200k, I'll do a plug change and general underhood scheduled maintance for the mileage. I will keep this thread updated as time goes by.

So far, I've put about 70 miles on it (50 being 80+ mph coming to work) and the light has stayed off, since clearing it last night.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, sometimes just a momentary glitch will trigger a code and it will disappear just as fast. The original sensors could be the source of the intermittent light...

Idriveaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m having the same issue. Came On earlier in the week. I too posted and not really a reply. Mine shows no signs of fuel economy going down. Actually I think it got a little better since I changed the wheel hub bearing a few weeks ago. Truck runs smooth. I had a code almost a month ago that was for throttle position sensor. Thought it was that when it popped up. After clearing it and saving some drive data I couldn’t read anything out of whack. It’s been 4 days and no code. Now when these did pop on it’s been below freezing. I’ve had issues with my 2000 Silverado throwing codes when it’s cold like that but when it literally just reached above freezing they go away. But my Silverado has 235k. Damn near all original sensors.

OP
OP
pwtr02ss

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m having the same issue. Came On earlier in the week. I too posted and not really a reply. Mine shows no signs of fuel economy going down. Actually I think it got a little better since I changed the wheel hub bearing a few weeks ago. Truck runs smooth. I had a code almost a month ago that was for throttle position sensor. Thought it was that when it popped up. After clearing it and saving some drive data I couldn’t read anything out of whack. It’s been 4 days and no code. Now when these did pop on it’s been below freezing. I’ve had issues with my 2000 Silverado throwing codes when it’s cold like that but when it literally just reached above freezing they go away. But my Silverado has 235k. Damn near all original sensors.

Maybe one of us will get it sorted out for the future P1174ers'. I'm glad someone else is in the same boat. It's not something that is easily diagnosed without spending a ton of money on parts, hoping one will fix it. I haven't noticed a temperature variant on mine. It did pop up after I fill up with gas the other day so I checked the gas cap, it was tight. Probably just a coincidence. So far (about 120 miles), its stayed off. Please tag me in any updates you have on your end. I'll do the same.

Idriveaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I didn’t want to throw money on new parts if I don’t have too. Could mine use it since I don’t know a whole lot about the history, sure but why replace something that wasn’t the issue. So far it’s running fine and I haven’t had a code pop up again.

OP
OP
pwtr02ss

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Idriveaho Check engine light came back on Thursday (it was raining). Saturday my wife drove the avalanche through the car wash and it started missing at idle. She gets home and doesn't mention this until about two hours later. I got out, start it, nothing. Running fine, check engine still on. I do a visual inspection of the coil packs because I suspected one to be cracked. I couldn't see anything obvious. My wife drove the truck to work Saturday night and it had no missing and the light went off. Yesterday I decided I'd mist some water on each coil and see if that would prompt a mis. Nothing. What I did find, however, was one of the plug wires was completely disconnected from the coil pack, just barely touching it. I only noticed this because it arced when I sprayed the water and I hear it popping. I'm not sure how long it had been like that but it was long enough that the inside of the wire was rusted/corroded. I had my original wires so I swapped it out. I'm not sure that this is the cause of the check engine light and I'm really unsure how the damn thing was even running, but its a start. The wire that was off was the 2nd back on the passenger side. Theres a wire running right above it and it makes it difficult to see. I will keep you updated as time goes on. Also, I have no idea how the wire came loose. I'm the only one that works on it so IDK. Maybe I didn't have it tight from when I changed them way back when, who knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeG1302