Drivetrain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenaliDrive

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just recently purchased an 03 Denali with 46,000 km. I don't really have to much knowledge on these, except for I know they are reliable. I am noticing a slight hum while driving, when I let of the gas it goes away, and from a stop it sounds like a heat shield that is loose. Sorry I know this is vague, but wondering if anyone has had a similar situation.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try and pinpoint the area if you can. Maybe have someone drive and you roam around the cabin to see if one area is more noticeable.

Does it happen on the gas and off, or just one or the other. Does it change with RPM, or just vehicle speed. Does it get louder or quieter when turning left or right? Are all the tires the same brand and wear?

Those years were also notorious for a rotational noise from the front differential as well. Maybe check/ change the differential fluids, especially the front.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently had a hum that was noticeable when I gave the truck some gas, but not noticeable when idling or simply coasting along on the road. I found that my front differential was failing, and when replaced, the hum no longer existed.

OP
OP
D

DenaliDrive

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. All the fluids have been changed. But I have a feeling, like you said, might be the front differential. Noise goes away when coasting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401