Drivers side front rhythmic "Thump"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lcguy1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 05 Yukon XL Denali that is giving me fits. It has a rhythmic thump noise from the drivers side front that happens whether you are accelerating, decelerating, or just coasting. It is a very rhythmic thump thump thump thump, pause, and repeat. It changes with the speed of the vehicle. I have replaced the CV axle and the hub assembly and still have the noise. Tires were checked and rotated last week. Checked lug nut torque, all ok. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:welcome:to the forum from Georgia Dawg country, glad to have you. As for the noise that hasn't changed, try this, while noise is present, lightly touch the brake pedal without letting off the gas pedal. You did not mention if turning the steering wheel lightly affected the noise. I'm thinking maybe brake caliper or rotor. Update when you can.
David g.............:2cents:

OP
OP
L

lcguy1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does not seem to have anything to do with using the brakes. I am wondering about a frozen caliper?? Happens going straight down the road, with power on or coasting. Turning the steering has a little effect on the noise, according to my wife. i did not notice it.I did check the brakes when I had it apart for first the CV axle replacement and then the bearing assembly replacement. I did not check for a frozen/bad caliper though.

OP
OP
L

lcguy1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You can feel it slightly in the steering wheel, but only a light vibration, not a wobble. The noise id pretty loud though.

OP
OP
L

lcguy1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tightened them pretty tight when I replaced the CV axle and then the bearing assembly.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tightened them pretty tight when I replaced the CV axle and then the bearing assembly.

You can't tighten those bolts "pretty tight", they should, dare I say, must be torqued down to specs. The center hub bolt which threads into the axle shaft is not to be reused and has a torque spec of 177 ft lbs. Time and again we hear from fellas who just wrenched them down and called it good then came on here wondering why this or that went bad so soon.

Ask someone here with your year truck to post the torque specs for:

Bolts that go into Front Differential for axle shaft - 58 ft lbs (GMT900)
Hub - Axle Bolt - 177 ft lbs
Wheel Hub to Steering Knuckle Bolts - 133 ft lbs
Front Brake Caliper Mounting Bracket Bolts - 148 ft lbs
Front Brake Caliper Bolts - 74 ft lbs (must use wrench to hold guide pins while tightening and not allow wrench to touch caliper. Doing so will cause pulsation when brakes are applied.)

Someone chime in if I missed something please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9