Drivers side front door rough to open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
So recently my driver's side front door has been a bear to open and is making noise when I open it. You know, the old rusty car, metal on metal, beater noise when they open the door. Embarrassing to say the least.

I have tried lithium grease to help it, but it does nothing. Any fixes for this? I can see the wear on the metal bushing/roller from use over the years I'm guessing replacing that might do the trick?
378bd0aa719071fa26e9be55c1f49b69.jpg187063479b92508dafdfe7d62cb7a0f8.jpg

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a common wear/failure point. Happened to me a few months back.

Try hitting it hard with PB Blaster and then working the door open & closed. If that frees it, then hit it with lithium grease. Worked for me.

OP
OP
CHOO CHOO

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
It's a common wear/failure point. Happened to me a few months back.

Try hitting it hard with PB Blaster and then working the door open & closed. If that frees it, then hit it with lithium grease. Worked for me.
Gotcha, I'll give it a try

93blkongreenpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is seized together. It's suppose to roll I the pin. Makes all sorts of noise and sounds terrible coming from a decent looking truck

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So recently my driver's side front door has been a bear to open and is making noise when I open it. You know, the old rusty car, metal on metal, beater noise when they open the door. Embarrassing to say the least.

I have tried lithium grease to help it, but it does nothing. Any fixes for this? I can see the wear on the metal bushing/roller from use over the years I'm guessing replacing that might do the trick?
378bd0aa719071fa26e9be55c1f49b69.jpg187063479b92508dafdfe7d62cb7a0f8.jpg
Mine does it every month phil, need to get a reg screwdriver in there to get the roller to start moving...then spray the balls off it with white lith so it works in... pain in the ass but you can thank our salty northeast roads....

OP
OP
CHOO CHOO

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
Mine does it every month phil, need to get a reg screwdriver in there to get the roller to start moving...then spray the balls off it with white lith so it works in... pain in the ass but you can thank our salty northeast roads....
I know, another reason I hate living up here.. wish I could move, but with her inlaws here and free daycare, kinda stuck here for a while

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was gonna say the same- the roller is seized and that detent arm is sliding (although not smoothly) on it instead of the roller rolling over the detents.

Looking at that side shot, I'd say that roller is roached. This prompted me to see if there were any repair kits for this. I'm glad to see that there are:

https://www.amazon.com/National-Parts-Abrasives-19260063-GMRP03/dp/B00WIFZKY6

OP
OP
CHOO CHOO

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
I was gonna say the same- the roller is seized and that detent arm is sliding (although not smoothly) on it instead of the roller rolling over the detents.

Looking at that side shot, I'd say that roller is roached. This prompted me to see if there were any repair kits for this. I'm glad to see that there are:

https://www.amazon.com/National-Parts-Abrasives-19260063-GMRP03/dp/B00WIFZKY6
Sweet, and thank you for the link as well. I'd rather just replace it than keep messing with it.

OP
OP
CHOO CHOO

CHOO CHOO

BackPagePhil
Reaction score
Mine is seized together. It's suppose to roll I the pin. Makes all sorts of noise and sounds terrible coming from a decent looking truck

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Gentleman, here ya go.

https://www.amazon.com/National-Parts-Abrasives-19260063-GMRP03/dp/B00WIFZKY6[/QUOTE]

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet, and thank you for the link as well. I'd rather just replace it than keep messing with it.

There may be other, possibly better options for a repair kit. That was just the first thing that popped up in my search.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts