Driver door opens funny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jiggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. So ive been having some issues with my driver door. 99 obs suburban is what im working on here. The driver door handle on the inside has to be pulled hard to get the door to open. Read some threads and pulled off the door panel expecting to have to replace the handle and rods but everything is fine. No broken clips everything is moving and positioned correctly. With the door panel off it opens just fine. Put the door panel back on and tried it and back to opening hard. Nothing is catching or rubbing. Kinda stumped here. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually it's worn bushings in the hinges that cause the door to sag on the striker. Not sure about why it would open better without the door panel on.

Do the horizontal seams on the door line up with the rest of the body on the outside? With the door about halfway open, lift up on the corner and see how much play there is.

OP
OP
J

jiggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill check that tomorrow

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like mentioned above, if the hinges are worn the door may be sagging and requires extra effort to open the door. With the door panel installed, the door panel might be dragging or catching on the threshold if the door is sagging a lot. That would explain why it opens easier with the door panel off. My late brother had a 1990 Chevy pickup truck that he used as his work truck when he did landscaping. I remember the driver's door was like that. The door panel dragged on the threshold because the hinge was worn so badly. I helped him adjust the striker to make it close slightly easier. It didn't help a lot, but it helped some.

OP
OP
J

jiggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you laugh at it?

Yea especially when the handle broke lol. Thats what the issue was the whole time. It was slowly breaking and was working fine with the trim off. The reason i didn’t think it was broke was because it was where the rod attached to the handle that broke and was behind the panel where i couldn’t see. Then one day it just finished breaking. New door handle goes in today

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea especially when the handle broke lol. Thats what the issue was the whole time. It was slowly breaking and was working fine with the trim off. The reason i didn’t think it was broke was because it was where the rod attached to the handle that broke and was behind the panel where i couldn’t see. Then one day it just finished breaking. New door handle goes in today

Sorry man, im a little kid in a grown up body...i always think to myself you better laugh or you’re gonna be pissed.....all the time....glad you’re able to fix it bud

OP
OP
J

jiggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry man, im a little kid in a grown up body...i always think to myself you better laugh or you’re gonna be pissed.....all the time....glad you’re able to fix it bud

Right!!! I was so pissed off when it broke. I laugh about it now though. It was more of a pain in the ass putting the new one in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickyrick63