Dreaded chevy low power mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schwartzint1

Reaction score
I'm here asking for advice. About two years ago I pulled the trigger on a beautiful 2011 SSV with 68k miles. I have been plagued with electrical problems. Been to the dealership twice. Private mechanic multiple times. The codes it throws are for throttle body sensor and throttle position sensor. Both have been replaced. Numerous harnesses checked. I love the vehicle but have spent way to much $$$ getting the same results. Stranded in low power mode. Mechanic has kept the truck for a week and can't reproduce the problem no matter what. Obviously damp or wet conditions seem to play a factor in when it happens. Do I keep dumping money in to see if someone can locate whatever wire is causing the problem, or cut my losses and get rid of the damn thing?

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
i had the same issue back in april, it was a rainy day and as I was leaving work it went into the low power mode, ended up having the Hoe towed home. I don't quite remember the code , but it had a correlation problem between the TPS and the throttle body, Maf sensor. All I did was to clean the throttle body and MAF sensor. I keep a code reader in the console just incase. I also have a brand new TPS sitting in my shop. The only thing that I can think of is that the throttle body stuck and the computer didn't know what to do. It has been fine since. maybe check all of your engine grounds.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely check those grounds and then check them again. Consider replacing that part of the wiring harness. I would think someone with a Tech2 or even a ohm meter and a schematic could also check for faulty or broken or corroded wiring. Such problems are a real pain and demoralizing and requires extra effort to solve.

Trc54

Reaction score
Happened on my dad's 10 when we were driving to Colorado to buy my Shelby. Ended up buying a new throttle body and changing it in the oreilly parking lot. Not another issue with it since!

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of this ^^^^^ plus grounds....check them 4x... also corrosion gets into the underhood fuse box i read about problems with those, they split apart, two gray handles, and shit gets corroded inbtween. Good luck...

Bruizza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I had the throttle body replaced 3 times on my 2011 avalanche and the harness replaced once thank god all under the extended warranty. It is just a terrible design IMO. I don't have much to add other than what the others have posted. The dealership would always just replace the entire throttle body when it happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts