Door handle replacement "how to" info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a "how to" for replacing the exterior door handles?
Mine is now starting to fail, not every time but more often than not. Actually it may be time for both drivers and passenger exterior handles.
What is involved with this?

Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must b a seasonal thing... My door handle went cuhput today to... Thanx for the info fellas...

Hah, mine went about two hours ago. Almost ripped the f*%#r off. My passenger side is on its way to. May do them both at the same time.

Thanks for the links guys, I appreciate it.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It takes a while just because it's hard to get at. Little hands helps. But it's a one man job and took me 2.5 hours I think....in the rain.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2.5 hrs. Thats not too bad, I guess. Little hands, I may have to tag on an extra 30 minutes then, cant say I have the smallest hands, hah.

Does anyone have any info on how to get the door panels off?

Just curious. What breaks or gives in the door to cause this problem? And, is it the exterior handle that does this or the internal components?

What exactly do I need in parts?
Thanks again

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, what did you guys use to hold the interior handle on? Rivet or self tapping screw?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Pop rivet. Gm sells the exact one for $2 a piece. If I remember correctly the typical hand riveted may not have a big enough nose on it. Need a bigger two hand riveter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu