Door Activated Interior Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blazeracer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The interior lights on my 2008 Tahoe will not come on when any door is open. Yes, I know about the toggle and the rotator knob on the light switch and in fact, have changed out the entire switch unit for a new one and still nothing.

When I push the switch for each individual light, that light WLL come on, so power is there. When I open any door to include the rear hatch, the driver's info center on the dash will tell me which door is open, so the door switches themselves are all working fine. The fuses all look to fine, unless there is one, or maybe a relay I don't know about. Seeing how the BCM is recognizing when a door is open, the problem has got to be in the BCM itself or somewhere between it and the lights.

I'm about to take it to the dealer and have them put it on the machine to verify the programming in the BCM unless someone has a last ditch try I can do.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with the doors shut, do the interior lights come on when you turn the rotator knob all the way to the right till you feel the little click inside? if not maybe there is still a fuse somewhere, sometimes there is 2 or 3 for the same system. check the owners manual in the back there is list of fuses and associated items.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
James, did you replace both the toggle and the knob? Did you check your settings in the DIC? Do you have an AllDataDIY account? If you do not, it would be very handy to have and you can access troubleshooting and wiring diagrams to check. A Tech2 would be helpful in this case too. Live in Florida by chance?

OP
OP
B

Blazeracer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The toggle and the knob are both on the switch assembly, so yes, they were both changed.

The lights do NOT come on when the little knob is rotated past the detent. They only come on if I push the button on the light itself. The dome light fuse is fine. That's why I'm asking if maybe there is a fuse shared with something else that's not labelled or a relay for them.

I'm in Texas.

Thanks again

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well the only fuses that are supposedly related 5 & 17 on the inside drivers side fuse block, but #5 is also related to driver side turn signal so I would think you would notice that.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was also going thru some other system, I would go thru the truck and test everything, such as are all the power outlets functional? cruise control working? defrost? all that kind of stuff and if something else is out it might be associated. anyway that's what I would check, which is how I found out the drivers side power outlet and the obd port are on the same fuse in the past.

inside.JPG

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
The interior lights on my 2008 Tahoe will not come on when any door is open. Yes, I know about the toggle and the rotator knob on the light switch and in fact, have changed out the entire switch unit for a new one and still nothing.

When I push the switch for each individual light, that light WLL come on, so power is there. When I open any door to include the rear hatch, the driver's info center on the dash will tell me which door is open, so the door switches themselves are all working fine. The fuses all look to fine, unless there is one, or maybe a relay I don't know about. Seeing how the BCM is recognizing when a door is open, the problem has got to be in the BCM itself or somewhere between it and the lights.

I'm about to take it to the dealer and have them put it on the machine to verify the programming in the BCM unless someone has a last ditch try I can do.

Thanks in advance for any help.

It isn't a PPV or SSV by chance is It?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe