Dod project question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tekfire07

Reaction score
Quick question for everyone who has done the DOD.
I am going with BTR cam and springs, LS 7 lifters, New push rods and vavles.
The question I have is, did you just use everything with motor oil or did you use assembly lube? If you used assembly lube, what brand did you use and how long did you drive the truck before changing the oil?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Erik

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The question I have is, did you just use everything with motor oil or did you use assembly lube? If you used assembly lube, what brand did you use and how long did you drive the truck before changing the oil?
Erik

I used this while assembling:
61NWuvbuR8L._AC_UF350,350_QL50_.jpg

But I also primed the engine with pressurized oil (homemade tank rig) while I rotated it by hand until I had oil coming out of all the rockers. Then, I installed the valve covers and coils, held the pedal to the floor and cranked it for a couple 10-second sessions. Then started it as normal. Was dismantled and dead for over three months. It fired up and didn't make a single tick as if I had just parked it hours before.

After letting it warm up, I took it for a drive around the block (large country blocks) and cut some donuts in the Community Center parking lot then brought it home to change the oil with about 30 minutes run time on it. My next oil change was maybe 1,000 miles after that.

First start and warm-up vids:

Also part of my "break-in" (not recommended):

Ivanhoe

Reaction score
I think I used permatex branded assembly lube and used loads, I put that stuff all over the cam etc .. New oil pump had oil poured in so there was no bare metal inside .
Disconnected Injectors and turned over to allow engine to get oil around before reconnect and fire up.
Used new cheap synthetic oil and Fram filter for break in I think ...
500 km later changed oil and filter for fresh synthetic and Napa filters ( wix)

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I grabbed whatever assembly lube I could find at the auto store and applied it to all contact surfaces and then I attempted to prime the oiling system by running the starter for a few 10 second cycles until starting it for the first them. And then I just changed the oil when it looked like it needed to be changed.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Erik
As others have said, assembly lube is a must. I used Comp Cams lube when I did my cam and lifters.

And I agree with Chris' suggestion above to crank it over a few times with the gas pedal floored. Doing so cuts the fuel to the injectors so the engine won't fire, and the cranking builds oil pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts