Do You Regret: Short-Body vs Long-Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schaffer05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could it be for off duty police work for hire?
Every state obviously has different laws. No way that would fly in Missouri. The only people that can run red and blues are emergency vehicles: actual fire trucks, ambulances, police, and tow trucks when asked by police to respond emergency.

Off duty police work for hire would be considered security (here), and you wouldn't be allowed red/blues. Most departments actually strictly prohibit that type of work, unless it is contracted through the department, and then you're in full uniform and vehicle. In which case they get a piece of the pie, so they're not as concerned with the liability ;).

His plate is all numbers too, so very well could be his patrol car. It has an expiration sticker so I doubt it, but Idk how PA does their police license plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 Suburban, that I have owned since January 2006. I initially wanted a Crew Cab Silverado but those were a little over my 20k budget at the time. Then the salesman had me looking at Tahoes and Burbans. My brother had just bought a 2001 Tahoe about a year and a half earlier and did like it so I strongly considered it. Then I saw the prices if 00-05 SUVs compared to 03-05 CC trucks and that's why I really decided to get an SUV. I began shopping around for a Tahoe but I came across my Suburban and I fell in love with it (and the price), because it was low miles and exceptionally clean condition, that basically sealed the deal. Now that I have owned it so long, there's no way I could get a Tahoe or a CC truck now. I STRONGLY considered trading my Burban in for a new 2015 CC back in 2015 because I liked the newer trucks, and I had one as a rental car for a few weeks while the wife's car was in the body shop. That is until we went grocery shopping with the kids. I COMPLETELY forgot about the fact that we were in a pickup. We went out to the parking lot in the triple digit summer heat and ended up having to put cold and even frozen food in the searing bed of the pickup. That's when I knew for SURE that I am now spoiled to having a big air conditioned Burban and I can never go back. Yes, a truck would come in handy sometimes, but u can still haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood in my Burban and close the rear hatch (if the seats are folded down).

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every state obviously has different laws. No way that would fly in Missouri. The only people that can run red and blues are emergency vehicles: actual fire trucks, ambulances, police, and tow trucks when asked by police to respond emergency.

Off duty police work for hire would be considered security (here), and you wouldn't be allowed red/blues. Most departments actually strictly prohibit that type of work, unless it is contracted through the department, and then you're in full uniform and vehicle. In which case they get a piece of the pie, so they're not as concerned with the liability ;).

His plate is all numbers too, so very well could be his patrol car. It has an expiration sticker so I doubt it, but Idk how PA does their police license plates.

If its a police car that's a pretty nice one. Tax Payers over there must be generous to pimp that ride vs a PPV tahoe.
Editing: Actually Could it be a repo that is being used to generate publicity for the force?
Entertaining all scenarios or what car is actually used for :)

Denali132

Banned
Reaction score
Idk about where he's from, but in Missouri fire is only allowed to run blue lights. He has a fraternal order of police plate though, so my guess would be something to do with that ;) not sure why you'd run lights in your personal vehicle, unless you're just ate up.

I’m retired law enforcement and my son puts some of my old strobe lights in and pretends he’s a police officer . They’re just sitting on the dash and he puts them in and out when he’s done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Denali132

Banned
Reaction score
That’s funny because the only ones allowed to use blue lights out this way are law enforcement and fire and ambulance can only use red and white and that’s the way it is in the majority of states. I know in Connecticut tow trucks can use red lights which always surprised me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crabdog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Spent this morning reading all of these posts. We have owned 7 or 8 Tahoe's and 1 suburban. I just pulled the trigger on a 2017 Tahoe LT 4wd. This replaced a 2011 Suburban that was a great vehicle. Prior to the Suburban we had Tahoe's as my wife's commuter vehicle and to transport us and 3 dogs 200 miles to our mountain house once a month or so.

In 2010 we built another mountain house that will soon become our retirement home. We found that with all the "stuff" we were moving to the new mountain home, the Tahoe was a bit cramped, so we went to the Suburban and never looked back.

Since we are getting ready to retire and will no longer be making the 200 mile trip on a regular basis, AND we have slowly moved most of our "stuff" that will not require a uhaul, we opted for the Tahoe.

With that said, and I think this summarizes most of the other posts, if you think the Tahoe might me big enough, but you are not sure, notwithstanding other issues such as garage space, etc., just buy the Suburban/xl. Much better option than buying the swb and wishing you had the lwb. The swb IS easier to park, etc., but the times that becomes an issue will be mostly dependent on whether you live in an urban or rural area.

By the way, made my first road trip this weekend at mostly 75-80 mph. So far 600 miles in, smooth as a baby's butt and love the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts