Do our truck keys have transponders?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OhFourChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically I'm looking into a Keybar key chain, and my keys are stacking up with various work keys, house, various master locks etc...
I'm wondering if we can get old school all metal keys for our trucks?

I am getting a Viper alarm soon with remote start, so there will be an immobilizer, so I think that should cure my issue anyhow, but for the time being until I get the alarm installed it would be killer if I could cut all this bulk out of my pocket

MadDogDelpho

Texcellent
Reaction score
I think 00-02 trucks have no transponder, but in 03 they started putting transponders in the keys, not sure why the update, but w/e.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a spare key made for my Tahoe and it's a simple metal key with nothing on it. Looks like a longer house key. It turns my 04 on no problem.

Cattivo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '01, went to Home Depot and had 5 spare keys made for under $10. I can't wait to install an alarm, sliding that key in and turning it by hand to enter the truck is exhausting:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14