Do I really need 4WD? 2017 Yukon XL Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fred Bickley

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As for towing and the ramp, the 2wd is just fine, so long as you have good tires, especially for just a couple of skis. That said, there are some slimy and muddy ramps that you have to be careful on as I have had even 4wds spin a little before gripping. Especially at low tide as another poster noted.

As stated, I can confirm the change to the 2wd/auto/4wd know on the 2016 denali.

I am in Florida, and my old 2001 was only 2wd, but my 2007 5.3 had the switch option. I asked the same question when I went looking for the 2016 denali. I used it all the time when we had torrential downpours, and at the ramp. It lets you get through a puddle without hydroplaning too much.

The torque on the 6.2 actually makes me use the auto whenever we have a light rain. A slick or brick road will cause me to spin a bit if I don't have it on and want to get after it crossing or entering traffic.

In summary, I don't use it much, but I like having it when it is nasty out.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with everything you said except hydroplaning... 4wd does not help with that, hydroplaning happens when water actually gets between rubber and road and actually lifts the car, truck, whatever up off the road...whether it be 2 or 4 tires its simply makes no difference being in 4wd or 2wd... if you're hydroplaning your tires are not touching the ground .....Front, back or side.... hydroplaning is skimming on the water....
You may feel more comfortable in 4wd but its a false sense of security imo...:2cents:

JWBGMC

Reaction score
Denali's are not AWD. They have an electronic knob with 2wd, Auto, 4Hi, and 4Lo settings. I just purchased a '17 XL 4x4 Denali to replace my older SUV and if you are already going to spend close to $80k out the door then you might as well spend a few thousand extra for the 4x4. Granted I do a lot of overlanding and definitely get a lot of use out of the 4x4 especially with the Denali having the 2 speed transfer case.
I keep my 2016 Yukon Denali in 2WD node unless there are icy or snowy conditions. This was the recommendation of my dealer and the recommendation of the Owner's Manual. Our SUV's have an old-fashioned 4WD system rather than the more sophisticated all-time AWD systems. Example: the existing GMC Acadia can be configured to have an all-time AWD system rather than my less-sophisticated 4WD system in my 2016 Yukon Denali.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep my 2016 Yukon Denali in 2WD node unless there are icy or snowy conditions. This was the recommendation of my dealer and the recommendation of the Owner's Manual. Our SUV's have an old-fashioned 4WD system rather than the more sophisticated all-time AWD systems. Example: the existing GMC Acadia can be configured to have an all-time AWD system rather than my less-sophisticated 4WD system in my 2016 Yukon Denali.

Im sorry you feel like the ‘turning of a nob’ is less sophisticated than having a full time awd system. Some of us like to know that we can ‘pop’ it in 4wd when conditions merit and ‘pop’ it out when unneeded. I know the extra step of you actually turning a knob is an unsophisticated gesture and too time consuming to have to stop and think, do i or don’t i need 4wd? It is indeed a shameful act to use your left hand for such unsophisticated knob turning, but then again, if you wanted awd you should have kept the escalade and not have been ashamed or cared about what some douchebag in the other lane thinks about you.
If you really would like to know about an old fashioned, less sophisticated system google manual locking hubs and actual transfer case shift levers and take a look of what we used to ‘have’ to do to use 4wd.
smfh

JWBGMC

Reaction score
Dear Friend, if you can afford 4WD, I recommend that you choose it. I have a 4WD 2016 Yukon Denali. When road conditions are poor, I select AUTO 4WD. Again, if you can afford the extra money for the 4WD system, I recommend that you do so. Most of the time, I keep my system in 2WD. The only time that I use AUTO 4WD is when the road conditions are poor (ice or snow). Otherwise, I use 2WD. The owner's manual recommends deferring to 2WD whenever possible to reduce wear and tear on certain components (that I am simply too ignorant to name - sorry). I am happy with my 2016 Yukon Denali. I do know that GM and Audi have AWD (all-wheel drive) systems that are more sophisticated than the 4WD systems of the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade. I wish that I had more knowledge but I simply do not. If you choose the 4WD version of the Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade, etc., it is important to follow the instructions of the Owner's Manual: use 2WD the majority of the time. These are my lessons after study. I cannot claim to be 100% correct. My statements are based upon what I have read in the Owner's Manual combined with what I have learned about through driving experience. I am not an expert and I acknowledge that the information that I provide to you might be disproven with better knowledge. Best wishes to all readers.

JWBGMC

Reaction score
Im sorry you feel like the ‘turning of a nob’ is less sophisticated than having a full time awd system. Some of us like to know that we can ‘pop’ it in 4wd when conditions merit and ‘pop’ it out when unneeded. I know the extra step of you actually turning a knob is an unsophisticated gesture and too time consuming to have to stop and think, do i or don’t i need 4wd? It is indeed a shameful act to use your left hand for such unsophisticated knob turning, but then again, if you wanted awd you should have kept the escalade and not have been ashamed or cared about what some douchebag in the other lane thinks about you.
If you really would like to know about an old fashioned, less sophisticated system google manual locking hubs and actual transfer case shift levers and take a look of what we used to ‘have’ to do to use 4wd.
smfh
May God bless you in all of the miles that you experience in a GM product. May every mile of your GM product be exquisite. Kindest regards to you. Keep on driving. Please post how many miles you have achieved with your GM engine.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The time your truck decides to slip and slide it's way down the boat ramp into the lake, you'll wish you'd have gotten the 4wd. You wouldn't be the first.
The hell are you talking about? If you’re sliding down a boat ramp, your tires are bald as shit and 4x4 isn’t going to save you.

My 2017 burb is 4x2. I also had a 2012 burb and 2013 tahoe that were 4x2. I live on the Colorado/New Mexico border. Never had an issue. Proper, quality tires get you a lot further than 4x4 will. What’s the point of getting going if you can’t get stopped?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
The hell are you talking about? If you’re sliding down a boat ramp, your tires are bald as shit and 4x4 isn’t going to save you.

My 2017 burb is 4x2. I also had a 2012 burb and 2013 tahoe that were 4x2. I live on the Colorado/New Mexico border. Never had an issue. Proper, quality tires get you a lot further than 4x4 will. What’s the point of getting going if you can’t get stopped?

When your rear tires are on a wet, slick ramp, and your fronts are on dry pavement, you better believe 4wd will help. Like I said, wouldn't be the first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davonlwilliams33