Do I really need 4WD? 2017 Yukon XL Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IIDXholic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding a 2017 Denail because of 3 things, Crimson Red Tincoat, 4WD and Bench seat (Wife wants red, I have a family of 8 and 2 PWC's we take to the lake on occasion). It looks like I'm going to have to order it, but I keep asking myself, do I really need the 4wd? I live in Texas so snow here is non existent, but can ice on rare occasions. The only time it would be utilized, is when putting the jetskis in water.

There are 2WD's all over the place, and for a lot less, vs going the whole order your vehicle route. I currently have a 2014 SLT w/ 4WD and have no issues getting out of mud (done it only once), and towing/dropping the jetskis in water, so I have no experience with the 2wd variant. Your help and experience is appreciated.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
try putting the jet skis in the water in 2wd, if it works ok you will be the Judge !!! I may be a dumbass here, is your current vehicle AWD ? if so disregard or borrow a friends vehicle for the test.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You only need 4WD when you really really could have used it. For 99.9% of the time, you'll have no use for it living in the south and in the burbs.

The proper tires can allow ones truck to do many things like a 4x4 with only 2x4.

P.S. - Denalis are AWD or 2WD not 4WD/4x4 unless something new has come along.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the one time you need it, it totally pays for itself.

especially on a steep boat ramp ;)

i had to pull my buddies truck & boat up a ramp w/ my truck... it was a priceless moment & his wife never lets him forget it :Big Laugh:

&
2wd or 4wd are options on 15+ models
not sure i have seen AWD options on the newer SUVs

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
The time your truck decides to slip and slide it's way down the boat ramp into the lake, you'll wish you'd have gotten the 4wd. You wouldn't be the first.

Ekim

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You only need 4WD when you really really could have used it. For 99.9% of the time, you'll have no use for it living in the south and in the burbs.

The proper tires can allow ones truck to do many things like a 4x4 with only 2x4.

P.S. - Denalis are AWD or 2WD not 4WD/4x4 unless something new has come along.
Something has changed!

Dlayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The time your truck decides to slip and slide it's way down the boat ramp into the lake, you'll wish you'd have gotten the 4wd. You wouldn't be the first.

Yes, My 2017 is horrible on the ramp pulling the boat out if it is not in auto or 4wd. Even siped the stock tires (22") and it will spin like crazy. Might be the stock tires too. And it is crazy sketchy on ice and snow in 2wd.

Do you need it? Might not with PWC, but like others have said, when you need it you will regret not having it. Besides, who wants to be that person stuck on the ramp?

OP
OP
I

IIDXholic

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
try putting the jet skis in the water in 2wd, if it works ok you will be the Judge !!! I may be a dumbass here, is your current vehicle AWD ? if so disregard or borrow a friends vehicle for the test.

I'm soo dumb and didn't even think to do that, so I will try it this weekend.

And true, really don't want to look like a dummy and be stuck on that ramp. The search continues then...

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go 4x4. I put a boat in tidal water on occasion and if you have to put in or take out on low tide, the bottom of the ramp can be kind of muddy. Plus if you are taking out after a few other trucks, they will have the ramp nice and wet for you!

duke90

Reaction score
Denali's are not AWD. They have an electronic knob with 2wd, Auto, 4Hi, and 4Lo settings. I just purchased a '17 XL 4x4 Denali to replace my older SUV and if you are already going to spend close to $80k out the door then you might as well spend a few thousand extra for the 4x4. Granted I do a lot of overlanding and definitely get a lot of use out of the 4x4 especially with the Denali having the 2 speed transfer case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442