Do I have an engine oil cooler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night while I had my grille off, I noticed that behind my tranny cooler is of course my radiator, but behind that there is what looks like another radiator. Is this an engine oil cooler? I didn't get any pics, but it's between the traditional radiator and the electric fans. Silver in color.

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most trucks have the small trans cooler, then condenser, then radiator. Oil coolers in my model are built into the radiator.

OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, thank you. I know my ignorance is showing, lol, but I thought the thing directly behind the trans cooler was the radiator. Learn something new every day. Thanks!

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, I hate to confuse the issue, but on my 02 Yukon without oil cooler, my tranny cooler is part of the radiator. Tranny lines connect to back side of radiator on passenger side. There is a small power steering cooler midline towards driver side in front of condenser. The only way I know of to confirm oil cooler is to look just above the oil filter and see if there are hoses coming off that area. I have a block off plate instead. I wonder if those with oil cooler actually have a separate tranny cooler?. It was my impression only the 2500 series had oil cooler not 1500, but that's what I recall reading. I even have heavy duty tow package for that year (comes with brake controller harness)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon