Do I Even Lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have what I guess is an embarrassing question ...

I have just placed an order for a 20/21 setup to replace my OEM 19/285 (front) 20/335 (rear) for my C7Z ... the wheels are about the same weight but the tires are bigger/heavier.

I plan to track the car several times a year, so my plan was to use my new setup on the street and swap to the OEM setup with the DOT 'slicks' when I hit the track. It's a good strategy ... or so I thought.

I though to myself earlier today ... you have all these wonderful plans why don't you try to take off a wheel and see how hard it is before you commit beyond the point of no return when the wheels have been CNCed. So I put my ceramic brake covers on one of the back wheels, jacked up the car, pulled the wheel out, no problem.

Then it literally took me about an hour and a triathlon's worth of effort and sweat trying to get that mofo back in. The tire is so wide that it was impossible for me to get enough leverage to keep it straight into the lugs ... I couldn't get all the way under it to lift it straight up, and lifting it from the spokes made it tilt too much toward the back to have a straight shot. I really thought I wasn't going to manage ... eventually, try after try, I managed by chance to lift enough and get the right angle to get the wheel back on. I'm pretty sure I set a record on how fast a person can get lug nuts on the threads.

Granted, I'm neither an experienced mechanic nor a bodybuilder but it was almost impossible to get it back on there. I even had one of those HF wheel dollies (http://www.harborfreight.com/1250-lb...lly-61917.html) but it was useless on such a wide tire.

To make a long story longer, I am now super anxious about my ordered setup ... if I had this much trouble with one 20/335 wheel/tire I can't even imagine what a bigger/heavier wheel/tire combo is going to be like. So this whole idea of easily swapping from street to track setup in a jiffy seems flawed ... there's basically no way I will be able to do it in a practical and consistent way trying to lift it manually.

Before I cancel my order, is there any piece of hardware anyone knows about that can make this process easier so as to allow me to swap setups without losing a kidney? I've looked at wheel lifts but most of them seem to be professional hardware for cars that are on lifts, not for individuals in a regular garage with a car on a simple jack.

I hope all that made sense.

I appreciate any help.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No idea, but all I could think about reading this is Mr Burns from The Simpsons...

250px-Charles_Montgomery_Burns.png

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what you're saying is that I should let SmithersJax do all the lifting ...

Excellent!

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about making a dolly of sorts that was the correct height where you could set the wheel on it and roll it into position and bolt it on?

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about making a dolly of sorts that was the correct height where you could set the wheel on it and roll it into position and bolt it on?

The dolly height isn't the issue. the problem is that there is no dolly that can cradle a 335 tire, at least none that I have found. If you look at the dolly I have from HF, because it's not wide enough, the inner part of the tire rests above the inner wheels tilting the top of the wheel towards me and making it impossible to set straight. It was a miracle that I didn't scratch the paint on the wheels with it.

How about something like this: http://www.reverselogic.us/shop.html#!/M12-Female-Threaded-Lug-Bolt-Guide-Tool/p/33249836

My only worry is that with bigger wheels and heavier tires, resting the wheel on those (however briefly) might actually bend the lugs.

Is that a valid concern?

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'd definitely have to have a custom dolly made unless there's someone who already makes some (which is entirely possible I'd guess) as wide as that is.

I don't think you'd have to worry about bending any lugs

SRTH8R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By lug I assume you mean stud? Or is some German ass clown working at gm and you bolt the wheels to hub now like a stupid VW? If it's a stud it's not going to bend. I always line up my wheel holes with the stud so when you lift it there is no screwing around. Push it on and put at least one lug on a couple turned to hold it.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You went bend them. There is jacks that you can get that are for heavy wheels. I will try to find one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14