DIY: Tahoe Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpaeltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up, hopefully the majority of people in here know this though!
Still good stuff.

KrautBurner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As always, im liking the diy's. Didnt know changing the oil was that easy on tahoes. A whole better than my GTO..

oh, come on...

the gto's pretty damn easy

kinda funny how this big ass SUV dosn't have a skid plate, but the GOAT does ;)

BTW,
I've got a black 2005 M6 throwing down 502rwhp/620rwtq ;)

01HDtahoeNJN

Shredding Gnar Daily
Reaction score
never thought about punching a whole in the filter thatd make it much easier...learn something everyday!! thanks!!

Rumplemenz

Reaction score
never thought about punching a whole in the filter thatd make it much easier...learn something everyday!! thanks!!

yes i said the same thing... all these years of doing my own oil changes (and gettng annoyed when the oil gets all over the place) that never crossed my mind once... that hole punching idea is pure brilliance :)

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
Despite you punched a hole in the oil filter it's still flooding over it.
I've just done mine without punchng a hole in it :
img0568es.jpg

I've alos put this from www.qwikvalve.com :
img0566mq.jpg

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O/P what oil filter is that ? I have been looking for a longer oil filter . That oil filter looks much longer than the one I'm using.

StickerShockPDX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
O/P what oil filter is that ? I have been looking for a longer oil filter . That oil filter looks much longer than the one I'm using.

Yeah, the one I got is tiny. I looked it up several times in different places and it is a lot shorter than the one you're using.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What stop road debris from flying up and hitting the valve and then dumping your oil?

I had a quick change valve on my Cummins that you unscrewed the brass cap and then inserted the drain hose. all done by hand and no chance of accidental drainage from debris.
I see on the website that there is a small lever that you turn to drain the oil. I don't think I would take a chance with my engine.

---------- Post added at 01:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 AM ----------

Using Fram PN, PH3675 is 4.08" long

PH3506 is 3.36" long.

I'm sure you can cross them over to your filter of choice.

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With whatever vehicle I ever had that had a vertical oil filter like in your pic, I would prime the filter with some oil before installing. Usually, I'll purchase the correct size Cap-Type Adapter for the Filter. Band Type Wrenches can sometimes be difficult to manipulate on many vehicles.

I generally tighten 1/2-2/3rds turn past when the Filter Gasket initially makes contact, no tighter than this. This is about close to the same as tightening by hand as tight as you can. They're always tighter when it comes time to remove them.

Another good tip, is I always keep a small notebook in the Glovebox with my maintainence logs. I write the Mileage, Date, and what services have been done.

It's a good habit at this time to also check all fluid levels since you're already under the Hood.
Mark

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11