DIY: Tahoe Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ypsetihw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
***I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR WHAT YOU DO TO YOUR OWN VEHICLE***

Once again, another simple DIY that I wasn't able to find around this site. Changing your oil is relatively easy as long as you have the appropriate tools and take your time so you don't make a mess. Here's what you'll need:

-6 qts of your favorite (preferably full synthetic) 5w-30 motor oil
-a new oil filter, I used a Mobil 1 filter, any auto store will be able to look up the part number for you
-drain pan
-funnel
-15mm socket and torque wrench (possibly a breaker bar if the plug is on there too tight)
-filter wrench or screwdriver & hammer
-newspapers, shop towels, latex gloves
-jack and stands

1. Jack the truck up from the frame rail and get it set on some stands. You only need about 12" of clearance to get under there, so if you took off your running boards, you might be able to do this on the ground.

2. Position all your tools under the truck or within reach. Spread out newspaper under the plug and filter area and center your drain pan. Make sure you can move around easily without knocking the jack stand or touching the exhaust parts.

Photo0466.jpg

3. Use a 15mm socket and break loose the oil drain plug. If it is too tight, use the breaker bar (make sure you're turning the right direction first!). It is a horizontal bolt plug that faces the rear of the truck, directly in the middle of the oil pan, just next to the filter (which is on the driver's side). Slowly remove the drain plug by hand. If anything other than oil is dripping out, put the plug back in and try again.

Photo0465.jpg

4. When you have the plug almost all the way out, get a hand on the drain pan. It will drip directly under the plug at first, but as soon as you remove it, the oil will arc out with some serious velocity. Get ready to move the pan QUICK or you will spill A LOT.

Photo0467.jpg

5. Let the oil drain until it slows to a drip. This could take upwards of 5 mins. It flows faster if you open the oil filler cap in the engine bay to let air in - just be patient. Crack a beer while you wait . . .

6. Clean off the drain plug and wipe around the plug hole to get off any oil and debris. Slowly thread the plug back in and wipe off any residual oil. Thread it by hand and make sure you don't cross-thread it. Torque to 22 ft/lbs (just SNUG if you don't have a torque wrench, don't over-tighten).

Photo0468.jpg

7. Now on to the filter. I like to punch a hole in the bottom of the filter and let the oil drain out, that way when you unscrew it you don't have to worry about it spilling out all over the place.

Photo0469.jpg

8. To get the filter off, you usually have 3 options based on how tight the filter is on there.
Method 1: Remove it by hand. Consider yourself lucky and move on.
Method 2: Use a filter wrench. This usually works pretty well, but a good filter wrench that will work on most filters is usually $20 or more, which is why I prefer method 3.
Method 3: Hammer a flathead screwdriver through the entire filter and out the other side. Grasp the handle and turn. You might have to do this a couple times to get it loose enough to turn by hand.

Photo0470.jpg

9. Clean the area around the filter threads on the block and wipe off the gasket mating surface.

10. Grab your new oil filter, fill it as much as you can without spilling, about halfway. Rub a thin film of fresh oil on the gasket.

11. Install the new filter BY HAND and tighten it as much as you can without using a wrench. Usually at this point your hands are covered in oil, so using a shop towel to help you grip the filter works well. Don't over-tighten or you'll have trouble getting it off again.
***There is a lot of debate about how tight to install your filter, but I would rather have a stuck filter than an oil leak . . . just something to consider***

12. Clean out all your stuff from under the car and lower it from the jack stands. If you haven't already, pop the hood. If you want to prove to yourself you just drained the oil successfully, pull the dipstick.

13. Remove the oil filler cap. Stick a funnel in there, and start pouring your new oil. Add one bottle at a time and give it a minute between bottles to drip down. If you pull the dipstick out the oil will flow down better as the air has someplace to escape other than the hole you're pouring into.

Photo0471.jpg

14. After about 5.5 qts are in the engine, check the oil level, it should be near max. Start the truck and let it run for about a minute. Shut it off and go check the oil level, it will fall a bit as oil circulates and fills the rest of the filter. Finish pouring the last half qt and you're done.

15. Clean and reinstall oil filler cap and dipstick. Properly dispose of the empty oil bottles, rags, newspaper, and old filter. Pour the old oil into a big ol' jug and drop it off at any local auto store. Usually they have recycling bins where you can pour your old oil.

16. During your drive to the car store, take the opportunity to check for any oil leaks. Make sure the oil light doesn't come on. If you use good synthetic oil you should notice that the engine runs smoother and quieter (less ticking from the lifters), and you could also see an increase in oil pressure of 10psi or more.

Hope this helps! :beer:

Last edited:

yukondoit

Stay Classy
Reaction score
Thats a good write-up. Now if you don't know how to change your oil after reading that, re-read it again. Hahaha

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As always, im liking the diy's. Didnt know changing the oil was that easy on tahoes. A whole better than my GTO..

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
'03+ if you don't change oil regularly the message "Change Engine Oil" will pop up on the DIC

finish changing your oil, turn the key to accessory and pump the gas pedal to the floor 5 times and the message "Oil Life Reset" will pop up

great write up! :)

ecordell

CordellDesigns.com
Reaction score
'03+ if you don't change oil regularly the message "Change Engine Oil" will pop up on the DIC

finish changing your oil, turn the key to accessory and pump the gas pedal to the floor 5 times and the message "Oil Life Reset" will pop up

great write up! :)

It's actually turn the key forward to accessory and fully depress the gas pedal and realease it 3 times in 5 seconds, then turn the truck off. When you turn it back on you should not see your "Change Engine Oil" message any longer. (For those of you who have the menu buttons on your steering wheel, you can scroll through the menu until you reach the "Engine Oil Life" section and it should say 100%

OP
OP
ypsetihw

ypsetihw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I guess somebody noticed me doing the oil change on the Tahoe and I was confronted by my apartment complex's management today and asked "not to work on my car in the parking lot" LOLZOR

:supergay:

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I guess somebody noticed me doing the oil change on the Tahoe and I was confronted by my apartment complex's management today and asked "not to work on my car in the parking lot" LOLZOR

:supergay:

Thats retarded! We have a clause in our lease too that says that. Screw that though, I paid for a parking spot and my truck so im doin what I want!