Disable Daylight Running Lights (DRL)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
N

nikel

Reaction score
Sunlitcomet is correct in regards to the same color and location on a 1998 Tahoe. I have to pics that I will post later today that might help.

I found your topic about the DRL mod after years of wanting to do this. The other write ups I found had picture links that were dead, and without the visuals they werent very helpful.

I have a 2000 Old Body Style Denali. From what Im told, everything about it is very similar to the Tahoes and whatnot.

But my question is, where exactly do you find the DRL module? I tried asking my local dealership, and they went on about not tampering with the vehicle electronics and all that. They weren't much help.

Ive tried searching for its location online, but I never find what Im looking for.

If you could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated!

Im trying to figure this out so I can get some HIDs. I could pull the fuse, but I would like to keep the use of my fog lights.

Also - the way I disabled my auto-on/"twilight" feature, was unplugged the small wiring harness from the back of the mirror. Mine had 2 plugs, one with 2 wires and another with 6. The one with the 2 wires controls the auto-on headlights, and the auto-diming of the mirrors at night. Yellow is headlights, orange is mirrors. So you could cut the one wire if you wished to keep the mirrors, or simply unplug it.

I just unplugged mine, I have 5% tint all around, and headlights behind me at night never give me a problem.

I dont know if all vehicles are set up like mine is (with the wiring on the back of the rear view mirror), but if so, its a very easy way to fix the twilight feature.

Monstar_est87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have fog lights so I cant pull the fuse... But I did pull the diode (the honeycomb looking thing) under the steering wheel and that did the trick wit out n e other problems, only took 3 minutes 2 do...

OP
OP
N

nikel

Reaction score
Here are pics of the DRL module on my 1998 Hoe. It is in a grey case.

DRL-Module-1.jpg

Open, viewing the PCB

DRL-Module-2.jpg

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the writeup. I cut the trace, then soldered a wire on both sides of the cut and installed a switch at the end of the wires. On or off, dealers choice.

OP
OP
N

nikel

Reaction score
Thanks for the writeup. I cut the trace, then soldered a wire on both sides of the cut and installed a switch at the end of the wires. On or off, dealers choice.

That is a cool addition... will be adding that to mine.

Thanks for the reply.

1fundenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
nikel, please PM me. I have a question for you. The forum will not let me PM you until I have 10 posts, and I don't want to simply create 10 posts in order to PM you. Thanks!

ErikD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in and say THANKS for posting such a helpful, detailed thread!

I was a little hesitant to perform the minor "surgery" to the circuit board, but it worked PERFECTLY. Took a total of 10 minutes (about 8 of that spent trying to pry the board out of the little housing under the dash).

I scraped the connection through with a thumb tack, stuck it back in, and VOILA! No more DRL's and no more stupid green indicator light on the dash! Perfect.

Someone mentioned installing a DRL switch by soldering wires to the board, etc.... I thought about doing that this weekend, but then realized I already had a convenient, factory-looking switch that could turn on the headlights - the headlight switch!

Thanks again for taking the time to post this thread!

thegeneral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the OBS different than the NBS in that you just have to hit the "dome light override" button 3-4 times and it shuts off DRL's and auto lights?

Just curious...

Did GM start this in 2000?