Dificult to fill gas tank.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tractoman

Reaction score
I have searched and found a little about purge valves and canisters but nothing specific to correct this issue.
I can barely fill the tank without the pump clicking off about 15 times. It is annoying. I have no codes or other issues but it does seem like an evap/venting issue since when I go really slow, it doesn't click the pump off as frequently.
I am not a fan of throwing parts at a repair so can anyone shed some light or share their experience with what to look for or what you did to correct this issue?
Thanks,
It's a 2009 Yukon XL 5.3 Flex with 86K.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
likely the vent solenoid on the canister, seen a vid where they took it apart and it was packed with dust. so if your on dusty roads often it could be clogged up.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes one pump or station is more sensitive than another. I've had trouble before with it clicking off and drove across the street to another station and it pumped fine. Then again, I've driven 700 miles and every station's pump gave me a hard time. No codes, nothing done to the system. I try to refuel at the slowest setting or speed and do so during the evening or early morning when the fuel is cooler and more dense.

Someday I hope to consign all that garbage to the dustbin of history and turn it all off through the tune.

Rule Andrews

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have searched and found a little about purge valves and canisters but nothing specific to correct this issue.
I can barely fill the tank without the pump clicking off about 15 times. It is annoying. I have no codes or other issues but it does seem like an evap/venting issue since when I go really slow, it doesn't click the pump off as frequently.
I am not a fan of throwing parts at a repair so can anyone shed some light or share their experience with what to look for or what you did to correct this issue?
Thanks,

This was on of the first issues I had with my 08' Tahoe. It would take forever to fill the tank. Turned out to be the Vapor Canister Vent Valve Solenoid. It was not too difficult to change and it fixed the issue.

OP
OP
T

Tractoman

Reaction score
This was on of the first issues I had with my 08' Tahoe. It would take forever to fill the tank. Turned out to be the Vapor Canister Vent Valve Solenoid. It was not too difficult to change and it fixed the issue.
Were you getting any codes? I got nothing but it is painful to fill this SOB.

Rule Andrews

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Were you getting any codes? I got nothing but it is painful to fill this SOB.

Something else you should check is all the connection on the tank. Drop the spare tire down and get under there with a flash light. Make sure everything is plugged in and hooked up and no hoses are crushed or cinked.

sick1166

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok just fixed mine and a friends
Mine thru a code which was the solenoid replaced and still could not pump gas . So I took the biggest hose of the charcoal canister and the charcoal rained down on the floor so I had dropped the tank and blew out the hoses and now it pumps as fast as it can well at least 2 fill ups as I just did it friday
I also have 150 000 miles and replaced the fuel pump evap canister and purge valve under hood.
My buddy told me he was having same issues dropped tank blew out hoses and filled up like new less than 90 minuets.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to replace that charcoal canister, all it will do is put more pellets out and clog it again. I had the same problem with mine (2005), replaced all 3 front and rear evap and cannister plus blew out all the pellets until none came out. I actually have two a 2005 Denali and Tahoe, done it to both.

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks,
Interesting that it hasn't thrown a code. I had this issue a year ago with my '08 Denali. It turned out to be the vapor canister vent valve assembly. This part has been redesigned and is a pretty easy changeout... creeper, safety goggles for all the crap that falls in your face, zip ties and a couple of wrenches. I wouldn't immediately assume it's the canister. I would start with this updated part. In my research, and in talking with a couple of shops, most of the time the canister is NOT the culprit. Amazon has great pricing on AC Delco assembly and make sure you get the jumper wiring harness to go with it... connection has been updated and you'll need this harness as an adapter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu