Difference between Short-Block and Long-Block GM Engines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JWBGMC

Reaction score
I happily drive a 2016 Yukon Denali. It is my understanding that my SUV has a "short block" V8 engine. I have read that "long block" V8 engines also exist. My question is the following: what are the advantages and disadvantages of the "short block" V8 engine that my 2016 Yukon Denali has? I thoroughly enjoy my 2016 Yukon Denali. The 6.2 liter engine does everything that I need it to do. It is smooth. It enables wonderful pick-up. I don't run car races or drag races. But I do like the power, torque, and smoothness of a V8. Am I missing out on something by having a "short block" engine versus a "long block" engine?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
John, I think you've got some terms confused. You have a small block engine and then there are big block engines. A short block or long block refers to an engine assembly. A short block obviously consists of the engine block and all the things that go inside it. The long block includes the short block plus the cylinder heads and maybe the intake manifold.

Now LS engines all use the same block size and bore spacing but they may use different crankshafts and cylinder diameters to arrive at different displacements. Even the Duramax diesel is sized like and LS engine to fit in the engine bays easily. The only big block still in production or recently out of was the 8.1 or 454 which traces its lineage back to the late 1960s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne

Latest posts