diesel options for my suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 01 4x4 1500 suburban and i was curious wich diesel motors currently on the market fit in a half ton frame
ive seen duramax tahoe/suburbans but ive heard that is an expensive conversion
the two motors ive heard the most about is the
cummins 4bt and 6bt
now mostly what ive heard a 4bt would be a little small ive read they only put out about 150 hp no sure on the torque figures
but i recently read somwhere about a 4bt with marine trim puts out about 250 hp and like 500 ft lbs
im assuming marine trim means its basically a boat engine ?
would a 6bt be a good fit iknow there is an adapter plate but wich tranny would be a good fit
does anyone know if its been confirmed that GM is infact going to offer a 4.5 liter duramax?

WisconsinHick1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would look into a Duramax. If you buy the same year truck the wiring should be close to the same. My buddy did the swap in his wife's 08 Denali.

OP
OP
ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah but wouldnt a duramax with an allison be a little much for a half ton frame
and expensive anyone have any idea what used duramax and an allison tranny costs these days i have no idea
i was looken at the 6bt cummins even though i hate cummins
if you can get a duramax with an allison in a 1500 would it be possible to put a 7.3 powerstroke into a burb

SRTH8R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would start with a 3/4 ton suburban if you are trying to make a duraburb. You need a body lift to fit the Allison. Cummins swap would be out in my book. As far as a 7.3, go buy an excursion. Whole lot less brain damage. There is a duraburb local for sale, think they are asking $22k.

OP
OP
ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think by the time ill have the money to do something like this GM will have its 4.5 liter duramax on the market
yah know when i sold my ford ranger 4 years ago and before i i bought the tahoe i looked and looked and looked for an excursion becuase i really like them
and i could not find one to save my life the ones i found were either beat up or they wanted way to much money and if i did find one i liked it wasnt diesel it had a V10 or someshit

02Burgundybeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AcidBurns on the Z71ts forum did a 4BT swap on his tahoe. Turned out really nice. Google 4BT swaps. They make great power and good fuel milage.

OP
OP
ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Countryboy07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you considering a duramax swap, check out dieselplace.com. Everything you need to know is over there. Tons of completed swaps to look at as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9