Depressing brake pedal lights up turn signals!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Turn signal arrows in the cluster light up dimly when brake pedal is applied, go back out completely when let off brakes. Hazards is making top brake light, license plate lights etc light flash too. DIC tells me every couple of minutes "Turn Signal On" even though after i turned, the stalk cancelled and went back to right position. Don't ever see rear amber bulbs do anything when i turn turn signal on and go look, front ones seem fine. Headlights all work as normal. What's going on? Haven't been messing with, just started after i pulled over and actually used my hazards today out of the blue

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
RnSM65Y.png

OP
OP
treehan77

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Thanks, my replacement flasher will be here tomorrow. This seems to confirm that's the issue. Although I don't know how to test ground at pin E if it still doesn't work. I guess I mean if ground doesn't show, I can test the pin where the flasher plugs in

OP
OP
treehan77

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Replaced the flasher with the new one, still didn't work. So put old flasher back in. Start Over...so i followed the steps above. First i replaced the turn signal bulb even though it looked good and everything started working fine. However, a trip to the store and when i braked for a stop sign instrument panel turn signals started glowing faint again. Hasn't happened again since though, so i'm keeping the flasher with me for a while and keeping an eye on it. If it happens again, i will put the new flash in again. If it happens after that is my next question:
Where would the bad ground be if pin E doesn't show ground when i test it?
Again, thanks @Schloe!

OP
OP
treehan77

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
With new flasher and new bulb, it happened once today. Can't get it to happen when I'm testing. What ground should I be looking at that may be bad/intermittent? Maybe the bulb s receptacle is bad? And the one time it happened, the traction control light lit up for a sec too

Last edited:

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
If you don't have ground at pin E just run that wire to a ground. The ground circuit runs back to the C1 connector of the Instrument Panel Relay Box pin B3 and then to G203 which is shared by a ton of other things. If you have no ground at Pin E of the flasher connector you have an open between Pin E and Pin B3 of the C1 connector.

FyXwRSE.png

kuJzCfu.png

OP
OP
treehan77

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
finally had a chance to get up under and look at the rear lighting junction block. one pin in the main input supply plug (blue) was bent/mishapen and black/corroded and so was corresponding pin on the junction block. bent back and cleaned and its working. if it happens again, i will have to splice on a new plug and replace the junction block (its $15 on amazon)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts