Depo projectors, pre-retro

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eli B

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I see that many people talk about the depot projectors but there's not actually a thread for them specifically. I did a ton of research and chose them, finally they arrived and after installation I'd like to give my opinions.

First!- They're fukcing beautiful. Seriously. The whole assembly feels so quality and the face is GLASS unlike the cheaper units. If you want HIDs (like duh who wouldn't) you have to get projectors. The hid bulbs in a halogen reflector housing will produce a ton of scattered light that will blind oncoming drivers. If you want to be THAT douche bag fine go ahead and slap in that pretty little 29$ eBay conversion kit and blind everyone. But unless you actually are a douche bag, knowing you're blinding everyone will get old quick and you'll go looking for a solution. These are it.

Second!- Some people complain of shaking when going over bumps, well shut up they're just fine. You probably only notice any movement because the sharp cutoff. The frame is good quality and the holes for the pins align perfectly so I'm not sure where the play is.

Third!- They're the only out-of-the-box projectors that work perfectly with HIDs and won't melt. They do come with standard halogen bulbs (9006 low, 9005 hi) which I hear are fine but I bought a quality 5000k 9006 55w kit and it's glorious.

Fourth!- YES a retro will produce a slightly better result BUT unless you're a perfectionist (nothing wrong with that) these really are very good. There's a thread on here that shows the whole process, you can compare pics of output and cutoff.

Fifth!- I went from stock, to stock w/ HIDs, to clear aftermarkets w/ HIDs, to these and I really wish there was a thread like this then I would have skipped right to these. Anyway, the glass housing is gorgeous AND they utilize the standard adjustment points so you can install them and adjust with a 4mm and long extension right through the standard adjustment holes. VERY EASY. MUCH better than others with plastic housings and weird adjusters that you have to remove-adjust-reinstall.

Anyway, I just wanted there to be a straight forward informational about these specifically. Oh, and you'll want to do a 4hi or 6hi mod specific to your year to preserve the bulbs.
Thanks, buh bye!

IMG_1174.JPG

IMG_1176.JPG

IMG_1179.JPG

IMG_1180.JPG

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good. I'm glad you like your depos. I have to make a couple corrections here. The lens is not actually glass. The lens on projector itself is, but not on the housing. Also there is a substantial amount of improvement with a true retrofit. Not just slight. I have a pair of depo denali projectors, mini h1, fusion fogs, and acura tls. By far the worst usable output is the depos. Now they are way better than factory reflectors...

Also if you retrofit mini h1 you gain bixenon.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for your third point, that "They're the only out-of-the-box projectors that work perfectly with HIDs and won't melt." Totally wrong there. I've been running 55 watt HID's in my Spyder projectors for over a year with no problems. They also have a great cutoff with the HID's. I'll probably do a true retrofit one day though.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Such an angry man.
Glad you like your lights lol.
Also the correct term is distracted not blinded.

switch out your turn signals for some anzos. Would flow better with the look of the depos.:imo:

OP
OP
Eli B

Eli B

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the responses. Yukonxl04, are you positive it's not glass? It's not indicated anywhere that it's glass but I'm pretty sure it is. The added weight and spikes have me convinced. Regardless it's a very impressive shell. And as for my retrofit comment, I hope it didn't sound like I'm against it. I actually bought these as donors for a future retro, I wasn't expecting them to be so nice stock.
Red rocket I'm really glad you put that out there, before deciding on these I considered spyders but couldn't find anyone confirming they specifically worked well with hid bulbs, and they looked too similar to the ones that didn't. How are the halos on yours holding up? I've heard the cheaper models burn out in about a year.
05single, not angry just loose lol. But really though, distracting not blinding? Come on. Lol. Good eye catching the now lackluster by comparison turn lights, I had the same thought after putting these on.

Thanks!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My halos are fine thanks. Although if they ever go out I have them on their own plug and wouldn't really miss them if I unplugged them. You can also buy new ball ballasts since that's what usually goes out.

OP
OP
Eli B

Eli B

Reaction score
My halos are fine thanks. Although if they ever go out I have them on their own plug and wouldn't really miss them if I unplugged them. You can also buy new ball ballasts since that's what usually goes out.

Good to know. So the halos use ballasts? Hey what do you use for high beam bulbs? I'd like to get some better output but not sure what's best. I don't want HIDs bc if the warmup, maybe LEDs?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to know. So the halos use ballasts? Hey what do you use for high beam bulbs? I'd like to get some better output but not sure what's best. I don't want HIDs bc if the warmup, maybe LEDs?
Yeah the halos are CFL and use small ballasts. For highs I use HIR but LED would be good too.