Denali roof racks - OBS vs NBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody know if the <2000 Denali roof racks are a direct bolt up to the >2000 Denalis? Looking around online, the older ones look sleeker, more like the NBS Escalade styling, and I imagine the older racks might be found easier and cheaper than the Esky racks. Thoughts?

Eta: to be more specific, what I'm considering doing is taking a roof rack off an OBS Yukon XL Denali (provided I can find one) and putting it on my 2006 Yukon XL Denali. Hoping for a direct swap.

Eta2: okay, I've answered my own question. There was no such thing as an OBS XL Denali. Only the shorter wheel base. So this obviously won't work for me. Looks like an Esky ESV rack is in my future ;-)

Last edited:

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody know if the <2000 Denali roof racks are a direct bolt up to the >2000 Denalis? Looking around online, the older ones look sleeker, more like the NBS Escalade styling, and I imagine the older racks might be found easier and cheaper than the Esky racks. Thoughts?

Eta: to be more specific, what I'm considering doing is taking a roof rack off an OBS Yukon XL Denali (provided I can find one) and putting it on my 2006 Yukon XL Denali. Hoping for a direct swap.

Eta2: okay, I've answered my own question. There was no such thing as an OBS XL Denali. Only the shorter wheel base. So this obviously won't work for me. Looks like an Esky ESV rack is in my future ;-)

The OBS Yukon XL was called a GMC Suburban.
They changed the name when the NBS came out.
99 was the last year of the OBS GMC Suburban, and 2000 was the first year of the Yukon XL.

OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I feel silly, because I've seen plenty of OBS GMC Suburbans, but once I got on the train of thought of using an OBS Yukon Denali roof rack, it completely escaped me that #1) I was looking at the shorter wheelbase versus my longer wheelbase and #2) that the longer wheelbase was the GMC Suburban. I just got all excited when I saw the sleeker roof racks on the OBS Yukon. Lol. Oh, well.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had an esky esv rack a couple weeks ago that was up for grabs. Sold it to another member. They can be had on ebay for not too expensive. The 2003-2014 esky racks will fit your truck. As well as the 2007-2014 denali xl racks of the same style will fit. Make sure if you decide to do it, that when you buy a rack setup, it comes with the 4 plastic anchor nuts that go in the middle slots on either side. They can be hard to track down and expensive sometimes. Here's a pic of my 2006 xl with esky racks for reference. I think you should do it! I love seeing Denalis with esky racks! Gives it a nice classy look!

20170329_140909.jpg

OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had an esky esv rack a couple weeks ago that was up for grabs. Sold it to another member. They can be had on ebay for not too expensive. The 2003-2014 esky racks will fit your truck. As well as the 2007-2014 denali xl racks of the same style will fit. Make sure if you decide to do it, that when you buy a rack setup, it comes with the 4 plastic anchor nuts that go in the middle slots on either side. They can be hard to track down and expensive sometimes. Here's a pic of my 2006 xl with esky racks for reference. I think you should do it! I love seeing Denalis with esky racks! Gives it a nice classy look!

View attachment 79577

That looks sweet, for sure! Just today I found someone on craigslist that's parting out a nice looking black NBS Esky. I asked if they still had the roof rack and rear vent covers. Turns out they did, they're in great shape, and he'll sell it all for $60! We have to drive a couple hours, but it's worth it to me. I'll be sure to mention the 4 plastic anchor nuts in the middle of the racks to make sure the guy includes them when he pulls everything. Thanks for that tip!

It's been probably 10 years since I've had a large-bodied GM vehicle (used to have a 92 Roadmaster with a 5.3L engine) and it didn't take long at all for the mod bug to bite me again! Lol. Had a couple Toyotas in between (Rav4 and Highlander), and while they're great dependable cars, they just don't excite me at all. No desire to mod whatsoever. I've been missing having a GM V8 ;-)

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks sweet, for sure! Just today I found someone on craigslist that's parting out a nice looking black NBS Esky. I asked if they still had the roof rack and rear vent covers. Turns out they did, they're in great shape, and he'll sell it all for $60! We have to drive a couple hours, but it's worth it to me. I'll be sure to mention the 4 plastic anchor nuts in the middle of the racks to make sure the guy includes them when he pulls everything. Thanks for that tip!

It's been probably 10 years since I've had a large-bodied GM vehicle (used to have a 92 Roadmaster with a 5.3L engine) and it didn't take long at all for the mod bug to bite me again! Lol. Had a couple Toyotas in between (Rav4 and Highlander), and while they're great dependable cars, they just don't excite me at all. No desire to mod whatsoever. I've been missing having a GM V8 ;-)
Just read and commented on your other post. That's a sweet score for sure! Well worth the trip to get them! Make sure to post pics haha. I've never been able to really not mod any of my vehicles. I'm just a guy who likes cars alot and likes to mess with them. Lol. I had a 1999 dodge dakota, and then a 2001 durango limited and couldn't leave them alone. Now the denali and I love it. I was always partial to dodge, but I love having a full size gm as well.

OP
OP
XLDenali06

XLDenali06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was raining when we got home today, so the luggage rack didn't get installed yet, but I did swap out the rear vent caps real quick. They look SO much better than the old caps! Can't wait to get the luggage rack swapped out, hopefully tomorrow.

PicsArt_04-22-07.48.10.jpg

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks excellent man! Need to see a side angle of the vent covers lol. Can't wait to see they esky racks put on! They will look great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevensavino