DEALER **** STORY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

TRIPEVANS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm a service writer at my local Chevy dealership and we charge $59.95 to road force balance 4 tires. They bent you over with no vaseline on the road force balance. That's why you were standing up when typing.
Thanks for explaining my joke to me! LOL!

Mattsred03

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just got my 03 back on Friday after taking it to the local Chevy dealership for the second time to have the drivers heated seats turning on and off whenever they wanted fixed. The first time they said it was the actual seat back heater. I argued with the service guy for probably 20 minutes explaining that the heater worked. It worked so good, that it came on at will. He kept saying they found a fault code for a faulty heater. I finally said ok. $655 later, a new seat heater. A week later, problem was back. This time, I wasn't going to get screwed again. After 2 days with it, they said it was a switch in the door this time which made sense because the problem only happened when it was wet outside. I argued this time that a faulty component could throw an erroneous fault code, right? Anyway, long story short, I got a full refund for the first "fix" no charge of labor fir the new fix, and they still gave me a military discount.
All that being said, and I really don't want to offend anyone here in the business of automotive repair, but we have very few mechanics anymore. These ASE certified technicians rely too much on scan tools to tell them what's wrong with the car. Which is kinda why I wonder why most any shop will charge you $50-$200 for diagnostic work. It's not like they are pulling your car apart looking for a problem. I've watched this happen time and time again. These people are not technicians, they are code reading part replacers. They do not troubleshoot a problem. And if all else fails, just throw parts at it till it's fixed. I know there are still some good mechanics out there, but they are becoming harder and harder to find. A scan tool is an amazing tool to help pinpoint a fault in the system, but it's still just a tool. When I run a test for a fault in my RADAR for work, I still have to prove good in, bad out before I can replace a part. If only the dealership thought the same way...

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
When I first started working at a Buick dealership in Hartford Ct. back in 1977, there was a guy there that could listen to an engine and from experience he could tell with a stehescope what cylinder was misfiring and if the valve train was the culprit. I have seen old school mechanics that cant read or write but could fix your car. Back in 89 I worked at a Mercedes dealer in NC, The boss hired two Mechanics fresh out of tech school, talking to the two of them, One of them sounded real sharp, the other one well not so. But six months later the not to sharp guy was one of the best techs in the shop. The smart guy well he had a problem with righty tighty , lefty loosey, get my point. I can go on and on about Mechanics that each have their little wallet cleansing tricks. stay tuned there will be more !!

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't trust shops to work on my vehicles. That's why I try to do all of my own repairs if at all possible. I do all my own oil changes, tire rotations, brake work, suspension work, and even most engine repairs. I even managed to replace my own AC compressor on my Burban even though I had ZERO experience doing AC work. I did have to get a friend with a vacuum pump and gauges to help me charge it though. Within the past year I have done my brakes (NNBS upgrade), rear shocks, fuel pump, knock sensors, rear diff gasket, and oil pan gasket. The last time I had my Suburban in a shop getting work done (other than getting tires mounted while I watched) was back in 2012 when I had my transmission rebuilt. I searched high and low before I decided on that transmission shop, and I ended up going with them because they have a stellar reputation, many positive online reviews, and one of the reviews I saw on Google was from a guy I know. I called him and asked him about his experience and he praised them to no end, and he highly recommended them as they did stellar work on his wife's Tahoe. They were not the cheapest quote I got, so I tried to get the shop to come down on the price. They held their ground and explained that "You get what you pay for" and he delivers only top notch quality. He explained that to go a few hundred dollars cheaper he would have to use the absolute cheapest crappy ass parts, and he refuses to do that because his shop only does quality work. So the shop that told me they could rebuild my transmission including all install labor for under $900, I would definitely regret it because they were DEFINITELY using low quality parts to be able to do it for that cheap. It all made perfect sense to me, plus the reviews, and the personal recommendation, that all sealed the deal. The shop owner did cut me a break by giving me a 10% discount which was $250 off.