DEALER **** STORY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I am a veteran and every time I have a customer who is also a veteran they are never charged for labor, just the part. I also don't believe in marking up the price of parts. The auto parts store delivers the part anyways so there is no loss for time on my part. This is another shady thing that some stealerships and mechanics do.

The day after Mother's Day and Father's Day (since they are always on Sunday) are free labor as well. This helps me with my tax write offs.
Just imagine if every mechanic was like you, an honorable, honest guy. :patriot:

Ming15237

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry guys but I have to disagree here with many of the statements that Maximus has made. I too own a shop. And yes, we make a profit on parts and labor. Which is why we have been in business for 30+ years. If I gave labor away and made no profit on parts I would be OUT OF BUSINESS in 2 months or less. It cost us $1,450.00 per week to employ a tech, that's $36.25 per hour. Imagine for instance I had a "veteran's" car in as Maximus has stated that needed a timing belt service, normally a 4 to 5 hour job depending on the vehicle of course. That service just cost MY SHOP $145 to $181 to perform JUST IN TECH WAGES! That does not include the service writers salary, nor the normal business expenses (I.E. Insurance's, utilities, and mortgage). Doing good will for the community is a great thing. Offering a discount to non profits such as many of the church's whoms vehicles we work on is a nice gesture to the community, which has lead to our success as a family owned business. But earning a living for my family and my employees families must take precedents, and giving away services doesn't do that. It doesn't cost McDonald's 3.00 to make your BigMac, built into that price is labor and profit, as it should be. If you want it fixed for free, invest in the equipment and training necessary to do it yourself and there you have it. I agree that the dealer from the OP's post should NOT have charged for the other services, HOWEVER, the dealer making a profit on the work that was necessary and agreed upon in advance (you did ask for an estimate and a time frame didn't you?) was not a bad thing.

cekkk

Reaction score
Ya'all be small timers.. Match this. Putting turbo back on 7.3 Powerstrock. Needed 2 new seals/washers, maybe a quarter inch across. Went to Ford stealer parts department. Pack of six, all would barely cover a quarter, $35!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Ya'all be small timers.. Match this. Putting turbo back on 7.3 Powerstrock. Needed 2 new seals/washers, maybe a quarter inch across. Went to Ford stealer parts department. Pack of six, all would barely cover a quarter, $35!
They get you by the balls!!

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys but I have to disagree here with many of the statements that Maximus has made. I too own a shop. And yes, we make a profit on parts and labor. Which is why we have been in business for 30+ years. If I gave labor away and made no profit on parts I would be OUT OF BUSINESS in 2 months or less. It cost us $1,450.00 per week to employ a tech, that's $36.25 per hour. Imagine for instance I had a "veteran's" car in as Maximus has stated that needed a timing belt service, normally a 4 to 5 hour job depending on the vehicle of course. That service just cost MY SHOP $145 to $181 to perform JUST IN TECH WAGES! That does not include the service writers salary, nor the normal business expenses (I.E. Insurance's, utilities, and mortgage). Doing good will for the community is a great thing. Offering a discount to non profits such as many of the church's whoms vehicles we work on is a nice gesture to the community, which has lead to our success as a family owned business. But earning a living for my family and my employees families must take precedents, and giving away services doesn't do that. It doesn't cost McDonald's 3.00 to make your BigMac, built into that price is labor and profit, as it should be. If you want it fixed for free, invest in the equipment and training necessary to do it yourself and there you have it. I agree that the dealer from the OP's post should NOT have charged for the other services, HOWEVER, the dealer making a profit on the work that was necessary and agreed upon in advance (you did ask for an estimate and a time frame didn't you?) was not a bad thing.
Maybe he is an independant one man shop??

nathanhanover

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have been ripped off by Chevy every time I took it in, So I bought all my tools over the years and did the work myself since 1997. What is odd to me is. If you can diagnose all that. Why didn't you just replace the BCM yourself? I mean really its a no brainer.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I have been ripped off by Chevy every time I took it in, So I bought all my tools over the years and did the work myself since 1997. What is odd to me is. If you can diagnose all that. Why didn't you just replace the BCM yourself? I mean really its a no brainer.
Doesn't it need to be reprogrammed with a tech 2?

OP
OP
T

TRIPEVANS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Indeed, Nathan is misinformed. It is ironic that he chose to use the term "no brainer." Like Voltaire said, "common sense isn't all that common."

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@TRIPEVANS , sorry that this thread got so off topic. Haha. @nathanhanover , he could replace the bcm, but it won't do him any good if he can't program it to his specific vehicle, which from what I understand, requires a tech II scanner. And those are pretty pricey from what I understand. So from his stand point it's cheaper to pay the dealership to program a new bcm for him rather than spend the excess to buy the correct programming tools.
@Ming15237 , I understand the business aspect. I agree that youre in business to make a profit to support your family. I'm in the same boat. I'm in business for myself to make some kind of profit, but ripping people off over something petty, is just not how I do business. Things like replacing other things that don't fix the problem when the OP told them what needed to be replaced and that that's what he wanted fixed and still got charged for other stuff, I think that's wrong. What frustrates me is that more often than not, dealerships aren't like you. They don't hire trained and certified technicians to work on customers cars, so they take shots in the dark, hoping they will get lucky and fix the problem. Most of the time they don't. From the experiences I've had with dealerships, and many through a close friend I had that worked for a Toyota dealership for a long time, that's the majority of what we saw. Im not saying that's true of dealerships everywhere. But I've seen it a lot, which makes me not trust dealerships. Like I said ealeeir, I'm lucky enough to be close friends with the owners of a custom jeep shop through my family friend that is one of their primary techs, and they will work on my truck and replace things when I need it, and will work with me on labor. So it works out. And my family friend that works there, has been a mechanic all his life and he knows cars inside and out, and has the certifications to prove it. And so do their other 2 techs. So I trust them to work on my truck and do it right the first time. sorry for the long post, rant over. Lol.

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a service writer at my local Chevy dealership and we charge $59.95 to road force balance 4 tires. They bent you over with no vaseline on the road force balance. That's why you were standing up when typing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout