DEALER **** STORY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TRIPEVANS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Tahoe 4x4 Z71 with 107,000 on it. The "right rear door ajar" message was on so I performed a thorough electronic diagnostic workup on the circuitry external to the BCM. Everything checked out normal including the switch at the door. I knew my BCM was out so I took my car to a dealer in the North Tampa area off I75. After 3 hours, they called and told me the ajar message was from the solenoid and had been fixed. Puzzled, I went to pick up the car and upon putting it in gear, the ajar message displayed again. They took the car back in to the service bay and said "aw shucks." 3 hours later I called them and was told the tech was checking each wire individually. I told them the problem was the BCM, and that's why I brought the car to them. One hour later I get a call..."it's the BCM"

Additionally, I requested that the 4 wheels be road force balanced.

Any guesses on the total for a new BCM with the reprogramming, and road-force balancing on 4 wheels??

$1000

That's right, one thousand dollars. $200 for the road force....$380 for the BCM....$270 for BCM install labor.

Before I expose this dealer's service practices in a more public fashion, I would like your feedback on this quote, specifically how it compares to other dealer's prices. I'm typing this message standing up, as I'm still unable to sit after my recent experience :)

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Tahoe 4x4 Z71 with 107,000 on it. The "right rear door ajar" message was on so I performed a thorough electronic diagnostic workup on the circuitry external to the BCM. Everything checked out normal including the switch at the door. I knew my BCM was out so I took my car to a dealer in the North Tampa area off I75. After 3 hours, they called and told me the ajar message was from the solenoid and had been fixed. Puzzled, I went to pick up the car and upon putting it in gear, the ajar message displayed again. They took the car back in to the service bay and said "aw shucks." 3 hours later I called them and was told the tech was checking each wire individually. I told them the problem was the BCM, and that's why I brought the car to them. One hour later I get a call..."it's the BCM"

Additionally, I requested that the 4 wheels be road force balanced.

Any guesses on the total for a new BCM with the reprogramming, and road-force balancing on 4 wheels??

$1000

That's right, one thousand dollars. $200 for the road force....$380 for the BCM....$270 for BCM install labor.

Before I expose this dealer's service practices in a more public fashion, I would like your feedback on this quote, specifically how it compares to other dealer's prices. I'm typing this message standing up, as I'm still unable to sit after my recent experience :)

Just curious, but your numbers only make 850.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pricing on parts and labor can vary wildly, and so I never approve or permit work without an estimate or firm quote in advance.

That being said, the price is very high.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't surprise me. Which is why I avoid going to the dealership like the dealership is the plague. Lol. But I also have a client that's now a close fsmily friend thst owns a custom jeep shop up here where I live. I do tons of detail work for them. And they have extremely capable mechanics plus alot of the really expensive diagnostics systems. So he can always tell me what's wrong with my truck at any given time. And not everyone has that readily available to them. Good honest mechanics, that know what they are doing are hard to come by these days.

drowssap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to bring my Ram in last week for a couple of big issues. While in the waiting area I had a bunch of laughs listening to the service writers blow smoke up customers arses. One of my items needing repairs were my trailer lights. Fuse kept blowing. When picking up the truck I asked the writer if the problem was figured out and he informed me the tech probed the light system and he got good power. I screamed PRAISE JESUS....IT'S A MIRACLE! Of course he looked at me and I said I would love to meet this miracle man because the F^&@ing fuse for the trailer lights was in my pocket! Without a word he took my key back and brought the truck back into the service dept.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
A few years ago I took my Impala to my local stealership for a state inspection. I get a call from the wallet cleaner
( aka Service advisor) saying that my horn wasn't working I asked what it might be he said might be a fuse , be about 30 or 40 bucks to fix. I declined . well I screwed up the mechanics plan, he thought what guy is gonna say no, heck you need a horn to pass inspection. I took the car home checked the fuse it was ok. took the headlamp out to get to the horn, and the sob had cut the wire. I spliced it back together and went over there and reamed the service manager new *******. All mechanics have their little scams to increase their take home pay, I could go on and on cuz I used to write service in my prior life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TIMMY_B