DD nav in non-dd truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the MDF spacers should be put on a PDF. in templet form see we can just download, print, cut out the templet and trace.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fit a Sony DD in my '02 Denali using a cage and bezel from an '03. Had to customize the HVAC mounting but it came out perfect. Added a backup cam and then a 10" JL sub in an MTX Thunderform enclosure with a Soundstream Nano amp running it. IMG_4330.JPG

Spencer_waynee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the install of a double din Pioneer Avic-D3 in my 01 a while back. I took some pics of the brackets I fabb'ed and the the bezel I trimmed.
There are a couple different ways you can do this. One way is to trim the bezel, plastic weld ABS and re-finish the entire bezel. Another way is the way I did it below. I only wanted to spend one day on the entire install from start to finish so I did it the easier and faster way.

I took the clip brackets from a AI 95-02 GM truck dash kit. They need to be spaced apart 1/2" on both sides of the unit in order to clip back into the dash properly, so I used 1/2" scrap of MDF. I used my digital calipers to take measurements of where to drill the mounting holes and where to place the brackets so it would go into the dash right the first time.
DSC06145.jpg

The MDF spacers/mount:
DSC06146.jpg

The clips mounted to the spacers:
DSC06147.jpg

I removed the entire radio/hvac housing from the dash to make fitting and trimming easier.
DSC06148.jpg

DSC06149.jpg

Behind the radio, there is a metal bracket that is held in place by two rivets and two screws. The rivets can be drilled out, then the screws can be backed out to remove the bracket to make room for the new unit. Some units will require this bracket to be removed, some won't.
The trim bezel needs to be trimmed in pre-03 models to fit a dd unit. I used my Dremel, asst of files, and finally different grits of paper to trim and round-over the edges of the new opening to match the oem edges. Some people mention using a 03+ bezel, but the problem is that you'll need to reposition the HVAC controls, and the contour along the bottom edge of the bezel won't match up perfectly if you have the full legnth center console that butts up to the dash.
DSC06151.jpg

DSC06153.jpg
Did you use the trim around the indash from the 03-06 double din it to put around it?

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did this upgrade on my 2000 GMC Yukon XL SLT.

I pulled the radio tub and dash trim out of an '05 Tahoe, and installed them in my truck.
It took quite a bit of trial and error with the dremel, but I made it fit.
20170410_181532.jpg 20170410_214739.jpg 20170410_221550.jpg 20170411_022653.jpg 20170411_022724.jpg

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi there fellow Texan, I am finally going to do this mod @JKmotorsports

As an old installer I got tired of seeing all the possibilities, plus I had a $175 gift card from my health insurance and with the bypass and 3yr warranty it came out to be $27 out of pocket on Amazon.

JerGood

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
JKmotorsports.... Any chance you still build the the DD bezel inserts? I have a 03' Yukon SLT.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't see this mentioned, and I have come across several threads linking to this thread....

For those with the 99-02.....
To do this mod, the two main ways to do it are to

1) Get the parts from an 03-06 NBS: Bezel, Radio cradle, lower dash, and knee bolster..... If you use this method, no matter how good you do it, it will still cut off part of the AC control displays because you are using the older analog controls on the 99-02 where the 03+ had digital controls. (Just for the record, to switch the controls involves switching out the entire system, and you're talking several hundreds, and thats used on the very low end, thousands new).. Then if you have a center console, you need the newer style or it doesn't line up just right....

2) You trim your radio cradle (remove the metal bar in the back so it fits), then most people end up trimming down the center bar across the bezel. It leaves some space around the stereo, and looks cheap...….. Here is what you need...
https://www.amazon.com/Select-1999-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4A7Q68PB5GRNFX82MR4C
Metra 99-2002 double din dash panel, DP-3002B

It comes in black plastic so no matter what color your dash is you will need to paint it to look good or to match. The reviews I have read, there have been several pieces that didn't fit well, where they curved/almost warped and pulled away at the corner. This is the part you need if you want it to look factory (as long as you get a good one). Feel free to search, but Amazon has it for $136 which is the cheapest I have seen it.

AMBASSADORHOFF

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the install of a double din Pioneer Avic-D3 in my 01 a while back. I took some pics of the brackets I fabb'ed and the the bezel I trimmed.
There are a couple different ways you can do this. One way is to trim the bezel, plastic weld ABS and re-finish the entire bezel. Another way is the way I did it below. I only wanted to spend one day on the entire install from start to finish so I did it the easier and faster way.

I took the clip brackets from a AI 95-02 GM truck dash kit. They need to be spaced apart 1/2" on both sides of the unit in order to clip back into the dash properly, so I used 1/2" scrap of MDF. I used my digital calipers to take measurements of where to drill the mounting holes and where to place the brackets so it would go into the dash right the first time.
View attachment 87016

The MDF spacers/mount:
View attachment 87017

The clips mounted to the spacers:
View attachment 87018

I removed the entire radio/hvac housing from the dash to make fitting and trimming easier.
View attachment 87019

View attachment 87020

Behind the radio, there is a metal bracket that is held in place by two rivets and two screws. The rivets can be drilled out, then the screws can be backed out to remove the bracket to make room for the new unit. Some units will require this bracket to be removed, some won't.
The trim bezel needs to be trimmed in pre-03 models to fit a dd unit. I used my Dremel, asst of files, and finally different grits of paper to trim and round-over the edges of the new opening to match the oem edges. Some people mention using a 03+ bezel, but the problem is that you'll need to reposition the HVAC controls, and the contour along the bottom edge of the bezel won't match up perfectly if you have the full legnth center console that butts up to the dash.
View attachment 87021

View attachment 87022

Really nice, I'm installing a pioneer DD as we speak!

IMG_20190422_191730_341.jpg

PNWMuseumman

Bow Ties Are Cool
Reaction score
I fit a Sony DD in my '02 Denali using a cage and bezel from an '03. Had to customize the HVAC mounting but it came out perfect. Added a backup cam and then a 10" JL sub in an MTX Thunderform enclosure with a Soundstream Nano amp running it. View attachment 57264
What did you do for the custom mount on the HVAC controls? I just had a DD pioneer installed yesterday, I thought the metro kit they used would be fine, but the fit is total crap and i'd rather swap over for a 03 bezel.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos