DD nav in non-dd truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the install of a double din Pioneer Avic-D3 in my 01 a while back. I took some pics of the brackets I fabb'ed and the the bezel I trimmed.
There are a couple different ways you can do this. One way is to trim the bezel, plastic weld ABS and re-finish the entire bezel. Another way is the way I did it below. I only wanted to spend one day on the entire install from start to finish so I did it the easier and faster way.

I took the clip brackets from a AI 95-02 GM truck dash kit. They need to be spaced apart 1/2" on both sides of the unit in order to clip back into the dash properly, so I used 1/2" scrap of MDF. I used my digital calipers to take measurements of where to drill the mounting holes and where to place the brackets so it would go into the dash right the first time.
DSC06145.jpg

The MDF spacers/mount:
DSC06146.jpg

The clips mounted to the spacers:
DSC06147.jpg

I removed the entire radio/hvac housing from the dash to make fitting and trimming easier.
DSC06148.jpg

DSC06149.jpg

Behind the radio, there is a metal bracket that is held in place by two rivets and two screws. The rivets can be drilled out, then the screws can be backed out to remove the bracket to make room for the new unit. Some units will require this bracket to be removed, some won't.
The trim bezel needs to be trimmed in pre-03 models to fit a dd unit. I used my Dremel, asst of files, and finally different grits of paper to trim and round-over the edges of the new opening to match the oem edges. Some people mention using a 03+ bezel, but the problem is that you'll need to reposition the HVAC controls, and the contour along the bottom edge of the bezel won't match up perfectly if you have the full legnth center console that butts up to the dash.
DSC06151.jpg

DSC06153.jpg

02tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have any pics of that lower monitor center console monitor set-up? I have been thinking of doing that exact same thing for my back-up monitor. I have the remote cassette deck and the cubby hole with a door there. Was thinking there would be some way of using the tape deck connection as an ipod hookup.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JKmotorsports

JKmotorsports

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have any pics of that lower monitor center console monitor set-up? I have been thinking of doing that exact same thing for my back-up monitor. I have the remote cassette deck and the cubby hole with a door there. Was thinking there would be some way of using the tape deck connection as an ipod hookup.
Centerconsolescreen1.jpg

Centerconsolescreen2.jpg

Pioneerback-upcam2.jpg

Centerconsolescreen8.jpg

OP
OP
JKmotorsports

JKmotorsports

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's one I did in an 04 Tahoe: