Damaged Autoride Shock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
armott sell's 2 different versions, they sell a oem replacement which is there redesign for air ride and your ride works just like stock.
Arnott's oem replacement redesign is using the old OEM shock that they purchase back. They test it on a dyno, repaint and replace the air bag. If it fails the dyno test, they throw it away.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arnott's oem replacement redesign is using the old OEM shock that they purchase back. They test it on a dyno, repaint and replace the air bag. If it fails the dyno test, they throw it away.
well having one right here about 6 feet away from me I would have to beg to differ, I would imagine they do use part of the oem shock but it is not just a bellows replacement.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well having one right here about 6 feet away from me I would have to beg to differ, I would imagine they do use part of the oem shock but it is not just a bellows replacement.

Arnott, #AS-2708 specific to my Denali, says “completely rebuilt rear air shock”. I was skeptical, so I called and talked to an engineer. I asked if it was completely rebuilt, and he said yes. I said, they cut open the shock and put a new valve pack, rod guide and seals in it? He said no, they don’t replace internal components, they run it on a dyno and if it passed, they paint and put a new bladder on it. What would make you beg to differ?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arnott, #AS-2708 specific to my Denali, says “completely rebuilt rear air shock”. I was skeptical, so I called and talked to an engineer. I asked if it was completely rebuilt, and he said yes. I said, they cut open the shock and put a new valve pack, rod guide and seals in it? He said no, they don’t replace internal components, they run it on a dyno and if it passed, they paint and put a new bladder on it. What would make you beg to differ?
how long ago was this when you talked to this engineer?
the shocks I purchased earlier this year had to have had at least the top half rebuilt, the air nipple is moved to about 1/2 way down the top half of the shock, the upper portion of the shock is completely different than stock it has a round metal plate and rod that fully extends out of the shock about 8-10" and the rubber mounts are completely brand new, the shock performs the same function but it is clearly redesigned. in fact it's kind of weird compared to the stock shock but it works.

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how long ago was this when you talked to this engineer?
the shocks I purchased earlier this year had to have had at least the top half rebuilt, the air nipple is moved to about 1/2 way down the top half of the shock, the upper portion of the shock is completely different than stock it has a round metal plate and rod that fully extends out of the shock about 8-10" and the rubber mounts are completely brand new, the shock performs the same function but it is clearly redesigned. in fact it's kind of weird compared to the stock shock but it works.
Maybe a year and a half ago, when my compressor failed. I think the shocks that just have the air bladder on them, but bypass the autoride valve with a resistor are new shocks from Arnott. Maybe that’s what you have? Or maybe they have changed their process by now, I just didn’t like that they were advertising “completely rebuilt” for this particular shock when it wasn’t. Even though the dampening only changes when towing, I wanted it to work like factory, so I bought BWI shocks.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe a year and a half ago, when my compressor failed. I think the shocks that just have the air bladder on them, but bypass the autoride valve with a resistor are new shocks from Arnott. Maybe that’s what you have? Or maybe they have changed their process by now, I just didn’t like that they were advertising “completely rebuilt” for this particular shock when it wasn’t. Even though the dampening only changes when towing, I wanted it to work like factory, so I bought BWI shocks.
no i'm using the ones that retain auto ride, there working pretty good so far

Silent D

Reaction score
I have not heard of suncore, perhaps someone else here has, but if you get the arnott's thru rockauto they will have a lifetime warranty and the shocks and compressor if needed are all plug n play, no scanner or any kind of reset needed.

I called Arnott's today and figured out what would be best for my needs. The tech said since I tow a boat a lot my best bet is to retain the stock electronic controlled air suspension.

Hopefully I'll be able to order the shocks and compressor from Rock Auto next week. In the mean time I got some PB Blaster to start soaking the nuts and bolts. Hopefully they aren't a b*tch to get off.

Last edited:

Paul Tyler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
armott sell's 2 different versions, they sell a oem replacement which is there redesign for air ride and your ride works just like stock, they also sell a air ride delete version which is a then a standard shock and you no longer have the auto level feature.

Actually Arnott has five different options for fixing the suspension on larger GM SUVs: They remanufacture used OE shocks - after testing they disassemble and then rebuild them with new rubber air bladder, crimp rings and top cap assembly. These maintain auto leveling and the electronic damping ($150 at RockAuto plus core deposit); They also sell two brand new rear shocks with zero miles - one is a premium shock ($176 at RockAuto) the other is a cheap imported one. Both maintain auto leveling but don't support electronic damping.

The last option(s) is the delete kit options including a premium coil over kit ($523 RockAuto) or a value kit (about $370 at RockAuto) with the difference being the front and rear shocks. I think I read they are using Ebach shocks for the premium ones. Both kits come with a spoofer to turn off dashboard warning lights and new steel springs (a bit beefier than your current steel springs).

We get a couple used GM 800 or GM 900 trucks a year that we try to fix and sell and a couple more in for repair. If both rears, or fronts, and/or compressor is bad we'll replace with the value coil kit. If just one is bad we use their value shocks. But it were mine - I'd use the remans. Although the miles are unknown - I think everything Arnott sells comes with a Lifetime Warranty.

Don't use the coil conversion option if you tow.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/pr...hoe-1500/4x2-4x4-w-electronic-suspension/2010