Cutting out the spare?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its the rod with the hook like end correct? Kinda makes like a [ shape? I've gotten it to catch on something before, but when trying to turn it, it just slips.
Wrong end like others have said. Use the square end. The hook like end is just for the jack. Hope you got it figured out by now?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
That was the only way I was able to drop that damn spare!

I just fought with mine when I did the fuel pump a couple weeks ago. I was able to reach up there with a big screwdriver and push that stupid latch enough to make it let go... Dumbest. Design. Ever.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its the rod with the hook like end correct? Kinda makes like a [ shape? I've gotten it to catch on something before, but when trying to turn it, it just slips.

If you're not sure which end to use, look in your manual or look on the plastic instruction sheet that is sewn into the bag that holds the tools. Both places show which tool and which end to use.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F*ck you, you secondary latch!!!

No kidding. As I said, my solution was the grinder. Then once I got the tire down I removed the whole spare tire hoist and cast it into the fiery pits of HELL from whence it came. :flamingdevil::flamingdevil::flame:

The good news was that I was able to get a replacement that was completely identical to the stock unit - MINUS the awful secondary latch. So after several months of driving around with the spare tire in the back, I was finally able to put it back under the truck.

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have to take out the winch (which you will since there are probably around 6 million GM trucks on the road with spares that won't come down) do what these guys said above and cut the whole thing out. I spent 4 hours trying to make the secondary latch close based on youtube videos and I couldn't get it. I have a 37" arm and tried to go behind the license plate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan