Cruise Control not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there were one or some screws under the airbag, don't remember. With your Tech2, you can do a lamp test. If the light comes on, replace the ECM, if not, replace the switch.

Do the simple things first.

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will go check the fuse on my lunch break. Need to find a diagram to find the fuse. Hopefully that is all it is.

Could that also cause my traction control off and service stabilitrak?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will go check the fuse on my lunch break. Need to find a diagram to find the fuse. Hopefully that is all it is.

Could that also cause my traction control off and service stabilitrak?
aah that's your problem, cruise control wont work if the stabiltrak isn't working, it's a safety thing, you need to scan for a code

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aah that's your problem, cruise control wont work if the stabiltrak isn't working, it's a safety thing, you need to scan for a code
So let me set the timeline here...

When I was rebuilding the truck, I scanned for codes and there were none. Drove the truck to the paint shop. On the way, I tried to turn the cruise on. It would not work. Shortly after, the traction control/stabilitrak error came on. I tried to use cruise BEFORE the stabilitrak issue came in to play.

Does that matter? If i go start the truck right now, the traction control/stabilitrak errors will not be there until I drive it for a couple of miles. BUT, the cruise will not work at all. Not before or after the traction control/stabilitrak lights come on.

Will there be a code stored even if there never was a CEL?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So let me set the timeline here...

When I was rebuilding the truck, I scanned for codes and there were none. Drove the truck to the paint shop. On the way, I tried to turn the cruise on. It would not work. Shortly after, the traction control/stabilitrak error came on. I tried to use cruise BEFORE the stabilitrak issue came in to play.

Does that matter? If i go start the truck right now, the traction control/stabilitrak errors will not be there until I drive it for a couple of miles. BUT, the cruise will not work at all. Not before or after the traction control/stabilitrak lights come on.

Will there be a code stored even if there never was a CEL?
well the traction control and stabiltrac system depend on data from the wheel hubs (abs sensors) and the steering wheel position sensor, if there is erratic data or a pending code then that would probably disable the cruise control from coming on even if the light was not lit yet., and those codes would probably be stored in the abs system, does your scanner read the ABS system?, if there is no stored data then you need to scan it while the traction control/service stabiltrac is lit up before you shut off the truck.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and I thought yours was a nnbs, does your truck have the assisted cruise control? if so it could be even more things like a bad camera or other sensor

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the traction control and stabiltrac system depend on data from the wheel hubs (abs sensors) and the steering wheel position sensor, if there is erratic data or a pending code then that would probably disable the cruise control from coming on even if the light was not lit yet., and those codes would probably be stored in the abs system, does your scanner read the ABS system?, if there is no stored data then you need to scan it while the traction control/service stabiltrac is lit up before you shut off the truck.
There were never any engine codes or ABS codes. Only airbag codes. I checked for pending codes and saved codes. never showed anything. BUT, I have not scanned since I noticed the cruise.traction control stuff going on. Maybe there is a stored code now?

The cruise control light would not come on even after I freshy cleared any and all codes. Even though there were none shown, I hit the clear button on all codes. Maybe the computer knew something before it showed the traction control error? I am just trying to figure out how the cruise control was not working after all codes were cleared and before any errors were shown.

I need to get my hands on that scanner again lol

David Smith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I went and checked out the Avalanche on my lunch break. The light on the steering wheel is working now. Not sure if maybe I was imagining it not working or what, but either way, it is on now when I turn on the cruise. I did not take it anywhere, so I don't know if the cruise is working, but at least now I can lean more towards something like a brake pedal switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons