Cracked windshield on new 18 Tahoe LT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomas21

Reaction score
Any insight on going about getting windshield replaced on new 18 Tahoe?

Quote for OEM & Dealer installed in CA
  • OEM Windshield: $520 + tax
  • Install: 250+ (requires calibration with front camera & sensors)
  • Total: ~890
Insurance deductible: $500

Last edited:

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some insurance companies will waive the deductible if you use their company to repair the windshield. Replacement does not generally have the same benefit and most carriers try to steer you to aftermarket glass.

OP
OP
T

tomas21

Reaction score
Some insurance companies will waive the deductible if you use their company to repair the windshield. Replacement does not generally have the same benefit and most carriers try to steer you to aftermarket glass.

With the State Farm policy I have in California it is a Comp claim with deductible.

Sounds like I will go the glass claim route and have dealer do the install. They order OEM Pilkington glass with GM stamp on it and have a 3rd party come to the shop to install.

Last edited:

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any insight on going about getting windshield replaced on new 18 Tahoe?

Quote for OEM & Dealer installed in CA
  • OEM Windshield: $520 + tax
  • Install: 250+ (requires calibration with front camera & sensors)
  • Total: ~890
Insurance deductible: $500

It took me forever to find someone to do my windshield in my Escalade. The guy who details my truck contacted someone he uses for he clients with exotic cars. My insurance covered the whole bill. When he installed it he disconnected the battery. No recalibration was needed.

Reaction score
also, keep in mind, if you have a HUD, make sure the replacement windshield is HUD compatible or you will get a double vision

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an object strike my 2015 Yukon XL when it was about 4 months old. It shattered/crushed a large area just below the roof line of my windshield. I have the forward facing lane tracker/collision avoidance sensor(s) behind the rear view mirror, and "collision avoidance Head up display).
I called my insurance company, (AAA of So Cal) and they called/referred me to SafeLite (I had SafeLite repair a chip in the windshield on my 93 C3500 a few years back and they did a great job, so I was on board).

It took a week to get a GM Windshield (the adjuster even pointed out, because the vehicle was so new, he wanted to make sure it was factory parts, not aftermarket) and SafeLite showed up, removed the old windshield, and installed the new one without any additional issues. He disconnected the battery, and put the new one in, then reattached all of the hardware (the new windshield came with the brackets/mounts attached from the factory). He was done in about 2 hours, did it all by himself with his "special" tools and mounts. I was charged my deductible, less a "discount" for using Auto Club's tech (SafeLite), so it was $200.00. (250.00 deductible, less 50.00 discount for "in house").

I asked the SafeLite guy what it would have cost had I not had insurance and had to pay cash, he said the windshield alone was around 1000.00 and installation would have run between 200-300. So, your posts of 840.00 installed from the dealer seems a bit on, and depending on how you look at it, cheaper? I will say, that the next year when my insurance bill came due, it went up 170.00, it since went back down, but they get their money back one way or another.

Windhsield closeup.jpg Winshield1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne