Cracked windshield and Insurance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Illnasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a cracked windshield on my Yukon for a long time. Luckily the crack goes straight across the bottom so it’s out of my line of sight and doesn’t bother me. But my windshield is 15 years old and looks beat up, scratches and chips.

I want to have my insurance company fix it but is that considered a claim which would increase my premium?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to have my insurance company fix it but is that considered a claim which would increase my premium?

In Florida, it's not. But you only get 1 windshield free per year with full coverage insurance. You would want to ask someone in NJ though...

Last edited:

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
I cant remember doing any from NJ so im not sure, but it all depends on your state laws and your ins. technically a cracked windshield is a road hazard and not your fault. assuming your policy has comp coverage all you would be out is a small deductible and it wouldn't qualify for a rate increase. also depending on what sensors are in your window, the price to just replace it may not be that bad

01ssreda4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Safelite, $225 and they come to you. Seems like a no brainer. Theyve done excellent work both times ive used them.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It is a claim. However windshield claims are comprehensive and normally won't increase your rates.

Weather or not you would have to pay a deductible varies depending on your plan. For instance you might have a zero deductible broadform plan that includes free windshield replacement.

Last edited:

ladorn45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in NJ and I cracked my windshield. It does not raise your premiums but you do have to pay the deductible (which for me was 500 so it was not worth it). Some insurances in jersey do have something where you pay a little extra and windshields are covered, but that not worth it. I ended up going the safe lite route

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I’ve had a cracked windshield on my Yukon for a long time. Luckily the crack goes straight across the bottom so it’s out of my line of sight and doesn’t bother me. But my windshield is 15 years old and looks beat up, scratches and chips.

Paid $150 for my replacement.