Cracked dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an expensive sun shade that deflects 99% of UV rays, and keeps the vehicle cooler, I use it all the time, and this year my dash cracked in 2 places. I believe the problem is with the dash support.
Welp, there goes the 'keepin the sun off the dash' theory..... heat is the killer then

Gurrzt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
California - where GOD and the sun always shines
Welp, there goes the 'keepin the sun off the dash' theory..... heat is the killer then

Not really, I have a 17 year old vehicle, that is also under the sun, and its dash board is not cracked. Using a sun shade is always beneficial to the vehicle.
From everything I have read on this, the 2007-2014 GM full size SUV's are subject to the dash cracking.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really, I have a 17 year old vehicle, that is also under the sun, and its dash board is not cracked. Using a sun shade is always beneficial to the vehicle.
From everything I have read on this, the 2007-2014 GM full size SUV's are subject to the dash cracking.
Was talking about 07-14's and as far as i knew there never was a problem with 01-06's cracking like the redesign in 07. My o1 was fine until i told in 14 and it sat in the sun outside for the first 6 yrs of its life. Its been said the sun is what cracks those dashes and since you used a sunshade on yours i simply stated that heat was the killer. And, from what i have read they used a diff material or process on the 12,13,14 model years so hopefully that will not be a problem.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score

As well as the NNBS trucks. My Silverado only has two very minor cracks so far, though. Unlike my wife's Tahoe that has several. None of them are too big, yet...

That hard plastic GM used is just friggin' stupid. :mad:

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an expensive sun shade that deflects 99% of UV rays, and keeps the vehicle cooler, I use it all the time, and this year my dash cracked in 2 places. I believe the problem is with the dash support.
Mine was already cracked and repaired when I bought mine. Although the 2 on the corners of the airbag must have happened after the repair and before I purchased. My use of the sunshade is benefical because I have a new one wanting to appear when I do not use the shade and once the interior cools down with the AC it lays back down. I believe it is the heat that expands the plastic and the sunshades keep the sun from heating the dash. The window tint does it's job too. There is a 15-30 degree difference in interior temps when using the shade.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My goal is if mine cracks to the point to where chunks are falling off, I will purchase a new dash from GM and use fiberglass sheets and resin to thicken up the underside of the entire dash. If I am going to go through the pain of removing the dash, I might as well do something to solve the issue and not just replace it.

Larry in Miami

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any body else have the cracked dash?
Im really irritated woth GM not fixing the issues with theses dashes.

Please post picture of your dash to facebook:
07-13 GM vracked dash safety hazard for all trucks

GM needs to man up
I have a 1999 Yukon with 180,000 miles and I keep it like new. The dash has been cracked for years and there is no remedy short of that stupid snap on or even worse carpet. I found a replacement dash from some guy in Canada and he wanted $1700 for it but that is not the half of it, to replace it in the car is about $2000 labor because it goes all the way down the firewall. Bummer. At the end of the day, I took epoxy for plastic made by JB Weld and repaired it myself. It looks bad, but at least stopped the further cracking. I find the dash issue to be right up there with yellowing headlight shields; fortunately I replaced mine for a song, but in the newer models I am sure it is expensive.

calif phil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '10 that I bought today had a cracked dash. The dealer had someone repair it. It looks ok but you can see the repairs if you know where to look. I want to buy one of the carpet style dash covers. Anyone have a good recommendation as far as who makes a nice one?

OP
OP
R

rte203

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check cracked dash group on face book 6k members cant be wrong

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh