Cracked Dash DIY Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Expanding foam could too easily go too far and destroy your dash.

Pat in Tennessee

How so? It's contained in bags and (hopefully) the person injecting it has the sense to squirt a little at a time. Or is there another factor about it that I'm not considering? I'm not discounting your input, just wanting to be thorough since I thought it was a good idea in my mind but I know I tend to overlook things.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It keeps expanding for several minutes after you squirt it.

Pat in Tennessee

Polease

Reaction score
All of this sounds dangerous. I am afraid that I would end up worse off then when I started

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been tempted to do this and get rid of the sill 80's style dash carpet that came with the 'burban. I am also thinking about going a step further and flocking the dash like this:

flocked.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been tempted to do this and get rid of the sill 80's style dash carpet that came with the 'burban. I am also thinking about going a step further and flocking the dash like this:

flocked.jpg

What is that? It looks like it'd be almost impossible to clean dust off of it, like trying to wipe a skateboard with a Kleenex.

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is that? It looks like it'd be almost impossible to clean dust off of it, like trying to wipe a skateboard with a Kleenex.

Depending on the kit you choose, it's basically glue spread on the dash and then coated with fiber that you shake out of a container. It would probably make the rag you choose to wipe dust more important so you don't leave lint, but yes it would probably make it more difficult to just wipe dust off of the dash.

I like it because it would help cover any residual cracks and cut down on much of the glare you get from light reflecting off of the dash top. The challenge is with our dash design, picking where the flocked part starts and the original surface will remain.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine has one small typical crack, I figure if it cracks anymore I will just buy a replacement and put it in, to me if I am going to pull the old one out im going to put a new one in and reinforce it in the known crack areas before putting it back in with some flexible laminate strips and epoxy (something like the sticks that come in the package of cheese and crackers but thinner), I would never be satisfied with it still being cracked and simply repaired. I would sit and stare it like some OCD problem, lol, I don't know why it is so hard for GM to just re-design the dye in the known crack areas, I guess then they would be forced to admit it was a design flaw......

OP
OP
Costal_Cat

Costal_Cat

Reaction score
mine has one small typical crack, I figure if it cracks anymore I will just buy a replacement and put it in, to me if I am going to pull the old one out im going to put a new one in and reinforce it in the known crack areas before putting it back in with some flexible laminate strips and epoxy (something like the sticks that come in the package of cheese and crackers but thinner), I would never be satisfied with it still being cracked and simply repaired. I would sit and stare it like some OCD problem, lol, I don't know why it is so hard for GM to just re-design the dye in the known crack areas, I guess then they would be forced to admit it was a design flaw......

I thought the same thing but I was also thinking I don't want to do this and just have it crack again. So I figured that I would try this and then if it held I could always do it again. Just as an FYI I have put a ton of road time on the truck and so far so good. One thing that I went back and did was to pop the center speaker back out and added a little more support under it as it seemed to be vibrating a little on bumpy roads. So far it is all holding. If I do get a new dash I will still reinforce it like I did with this to make sure it does not happen again....

SidewaystheSeven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm going to have to attempt to do this soon. This crack over the gauge bezel is driving me nuts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons