Cowl Induction Hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RicanGM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Am thinking on installing a cowl induction hood on my 1999 K2500 Crew Cab.

The hood on it is pealed to the bare metal, too expensive to just paint it.

Am looking for a small cowl, about 2 in , nothing too radical.

What do you guys recommend steel or fiberglass?

Any brand or source and how about the quality?

I looked on ebay and the prices go from $300-$1200.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Personally I'd go with s steel Hood. That's just my preference. But whatever you decide, just go with a reputable manufacturer, or you're probably gonna have a lot of fitment and quality issues.

OP
OP
RicanGM

RicanGM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I'd go with s steel Hood. That's just my preference. But whatever you decide, just go with a reputable manufacturer, or you're probably gonna have a lot of fitment and quality issues.

My biggest concern is shipping, the last fiberglass hood I ordered came with the 2 corner smashed and it would cost me more to ship it back than to repair it.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
My biggest concern is shipping, the last fiberglass hood I ordered came with the 2 corner smashed and it would cost me more to ship it back than to repair it.
Def have to check it when it's delivered. If it's damaged, you can refuse the delivery, due to damage.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You definitely want a steel hood, and plan on a body shop doing some work before it's ready for paint. Mine was a Goodmark which is a good quality mfr. and it needed some work. My friend owns a body shop and he says they all need some filling and whatnot.

OP
OP
RicanGM

RicanGM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You definitely want a steel hood, and plan on a body shop doing some work before it's ready for paint. Mine was a Goodmark which is a good quality mfr. and it needed some work. My friend owns a body shop and he says they all need some filling and whatnot.

Thanks @Red Rocket , from what I been searching Steel it is.

I read that Goodmark to be one of the top brand for steel aftermarket body parts.

What you think about AMD? I bought stuff from this ebay seller before and it was good quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-00-Chevy-GMC-Tahoe-Yukon-FullSize-C-K-PICKUP-2-STEEL-COWL-Style-HOOD-AMD-/252426408058?fits=Year:1999|Make:Chevrolet|Model:Tahoe&hash=item3ac5c9507a:g:TiIAAOSwZ1lWeYsp&vxp=mtr

By the way, good looking Denali!

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Red Rocket , from what I been searching Steel it is.

I read that Goodmark to be one of the top brand for steel aftermarket body parts.

What you think about AMD? I bought stuff from this ebay seller before and it was good quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-00-Chevy-GMC-Tahoe-Yukon-FullSize-C-K-PICKUP-2-STEEL-COWL-Style-HOOD-AMD-/252426408058?fits=Year:1999|Make:Chevrolet|Model:Tahoe&hash=item3ac5c9507a:g:TiIAAOSwZ1lWeYsp&vxp=mtr

By the way, good looking Denali!
I've never heard of them but it looks as expensive as Goodmark so why take a chance is what I'm thinking.

Back N Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely steel. I put a fiberglass on my Camaro. The rest of the front clip was plastic, so why not? First problem, the fiberglass had pin holes in it. Needed quite a bit of filling in, before it could be prepped for paint. Their were some fitment issues I didn't care for. Low about mid way down each side, a little high, or not perfectly lined up, but pretty close. You could also see low spots in the surface. I used a 3" on that car, which looked great, but definitely freaked me out when I first started driving it, again the first time I drove through a 2-way tunnel, on the entry the road curves to the left, and then back to the right a little. I couldn't tell where the curb was. After I got used to it, I would run 80-90 through the tunnel! :hahano: Then it freaked me out again the first time I took it on the interstate. The cowl had quite a bit of flex due to wind resistance, and road vibrations.

Second part of your question. I would go with Goodmark. They are one of the best companies out there making aftermarket body panels. They're goung to make about the best product you can find. Even if they may cost a little more than the competition, you're getting what you're paying for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts