constant lifter tick..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't even know that it's a lifter noise yet, you say you believe it is ... why not trouble shoot it first. Make sure the rockers and everything on top of the engine is OK first.

While it's not hard to swap lifters, you do have to tear down the top half of the engine.

OP
OP
P

PatyOFurniture

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
to update, i changed the oil (5W30) and added half a can of sea foam to the crank case… been driving it a couple days waiting for the oil to change to dark as the can says.. if anything the tapping has gotten louder. You cannot hear it at idle.. only when you rev it up. still coming from the top of the back of the passenger side of the motor.
I purchased a can of the sea foam spray but it did not have the vortec long spray nozzle, only the shorter 90 degree one, so I emailed sea foam hoping they can send me one.

I read on here about adding a shot glass' worth of ATF to the crank case and letting it idle for 15 mins and it should go away.. anyone tried this?

Z71malik

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have either a 99 or a 2000 Tahoe z71

350 vortec 5.7 V8

The one with the grill guard

It started having this horrible knock on it an I checked the oil an realized it was bone ass dry. So I gave her 3 quarts of 10w40 for a temporary fix an the sound died off completely.....
20 miles later(today) it came back an it's a steady tick with the engine right on top of it so Im sure it's a rocker or rod..... will a high milage oil change an new oil filter help me or what should I do

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan