constant lifter tick..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PatyOFurniture

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all, I got a 99 Tahoe 5.7L vortec with around 200,000 kilometers, that developed steady what I believe is lifter tick about a year ago at all rpm's. It is loud tapping coming from the top passenger side of the motor...I changed the oil with regular 5w30 and added lucas oil stabilizer but no help.
I doubt seafoaming or synthetic oil will quiet down this motor..

anyone have any last haymaker things i should try before I take it to the shop to have the lifters done?

and does anyone know how long it usually takes to do the lifters so I can prepare myself for the buttraping I'm about to receive at the mechanics?

:okay2:

Last edited:

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try marvel mystery oil, many old hot rodeos swear by the stuff. Sometimes its capable of doing wonders.

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lots of people use transmission fluid and say it works wonders. my old OBS denali had the ugliest knock / tick and i drove it for 15,000 miles before i traded it in without issues

OP
OP
P

PatyOFurniture

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think i'll try seafomaing it, then changing the oil with a quart of MMO then what other oil should I put in? is it worth going thicker to a 15w40 or 20w50, or sticking with a 5W30

OP
OP
P

PatyOFurniture

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hmm I have a can of the liquid seafoam that I was going to add to the vacuum line off the brake booster.. but maybe I should do an oil change with cheap oil as my oil is dirty now, add seafoam in the crankcase, keep an eye on the oil to get dirty.. then change it again with new oil

or should I go buy the spray version of sea foam with the special spray nozzle for vortec motors?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne