Console lid that isn't hard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xjsc16x

Reaction score
I have an NBS hoe with grey leather bucket seats and the center console. The console lid is hard plastic and I am used to leaning on it a bit in my Dakota, especially when my girlfriend is with me. The lid is very uncomfortable to lean on and the armrests aren't much better. Are there different lids out there that are lined with leather or just a bit more plush than the hard plastic ones? Factory or otherwise.

Thanks - JC

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Denalis and escalades had a softer leather lid, but the whole console has to be swapped, it's a different shape. Went through the same deal on my 04. Id suggest a travel pillow or something on top.

OP
OP
xjsc16x

xjsc16x

Reaction score
Well that is unfortunate. Thanks for the reply. Do you know if anybody makes a sort of "insert" or topper in the right shape? Or should I just find something that sort of fits

OP
OP
xjsc16x

xjsc16x

Reaction score

Even this silverado console looks comfier than the shit NBS hoe cover.

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The silverado ones hinge at the rear instead of the side. But yes, they were padded and more comfy. I haven't found anything to help.

Mr. 960

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have an upholstery shop wrap in in vinyl with foam padding. I have one that I bought from JP Customs years ago and it is a big improvement!

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have recovered and added padding to a center console lid in another vehicle. Wasnt hard. (and repaired some cracking of the plastic support of the lid)

I also went from cloth to stitched leather.

Definitely checking with an upholstery shop is a great idea.

BTW my escalade center console lid is pretty nicely padded and hinged on the side. Seems the same as my denali lid, with a little more padding and vented/perforated leather insert.

Last edited:

mdnitedrftr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the upholstery shop idea. It should cost you less than $100.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Well that is unfortunate. Thanks for the reply. Do you know if anybody makes a sort of "insert" or topper in the right shape? Or should I just find something that sort of fits
I've seen something like what you're asking about on eBay awhile ago. Can't remember what it was categorized as, but if you look, I'm sure you'll find it.