Considering radio upgrade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scot moore

Reaction score
So we took out Yukon on our first trip about 6 hours. It drove great! Gas mileage sucked more than I expected, but had stuff strapped to the roof and drove into the wind got 12.5 mpg average. I was hoping closer to 15. I ran into some frustration with the stock dvd/nav unit. Enough that I am considering a swap. I am thinking about getting one of the Kenwood DNX693S units. Right now the biggest issue was my wife was not able to control the dvd movie for the kids in the back while driving. Any time she needed to do anything it had to wait until the car was in park. Some of the dvd movies have 10 mins of previews that can’t be skipped. So the factory radio lead to upset kids, frustrated wife, and me who was about the through the movies away. I want to make sure I can keep my stock backup camera and rear entertainment controls. It looks like I can with that kenwood and the correct adapters. Anything else to look for or consider? Any way to bypass the dvd lockout without spending over $200 for the gmlockpick? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what's your budget for this? I put in a avic 8200nex and adapters for everything added a separate Sirius receiver so I wouldn't have to look at it through the DIC, didn't have to cut any stock harness everything plugged in and everything works with the stock amp and speakers, backup camera, steering wheel controls, both rear displays and the front (easy free hack), onstar still works but I don't use it, the factory BT mic sucks butthole so I use the pioneer and it sounds like your on a landline, the only thing that doesn't work that used too with the factory system is when you get low on fuel it just tells you thru the DIC instead of on the nav screen which is no big deal at all. the nex8200 currently runs about $700 online if you shop around, various adapters probably another $200 or so depends on if you have the bose premium or not, there are other lower end nex (cheaper) units but they do not have nav built in so you have to add it if you want nav, but even though mine has nav I always end up using android auto and waze anyway. the stock system is just not for me at all and was virtually one of the first things to get yanked.

OP
OP
scot moore

scot moore

Reaction score
Cool thx for the suggestion. While I like Pioneer, I have always leaned towards Kenwood. I would like to stay as low as I can cost wise. Definitely under $1000 as I really think my wife is going to drive this daily. I will probably only be in it once a week or so, and besides this road trip she doesn’t care if she has factory or not. I can get The kenwood I listed with all adapters and the idatalink for around $600 that is why I was considering that. I do have the Bose system with nav and the center channel speaker. I have one rear entertainment screen too. I would definitely consider pioneer though if there was something I was gaining over kenwood. Thx and Merry Christmas.

OP
OP
scot moore

scot moore

Reaction score
Oh also meant to say we both use iPhones, so the CarPlay would be a nice feature what ever unit we get.

OP
OP
scot moore

scot moore

Reaction score
Just saw something on the kenwood that is probably a deal breaker for me. Not sure if this is on the Pioneer too. Saw a video that shows a warning screen that comes up every time the car is started. You have to click ok to exit that screen no time out no turning that off. I can already see that would piss me off having to accept some stupid agreement every time the car is turned on. Is Pioneer the same way?

OP
OP
scot moore

scot moore

Reaction score
Ok it looks like both Pioneer and kenwood 2017 models now have a time out for that message. Pioneer is 7 seconds and kenwood is 10 seconds

OP
OP
scot moore

scot moore

Reaction score
I know at least one won’t allow any skipping of any kind. I don’t have a remote currently though. The one from my Acadia doesn’t work. Maybe because it had dual headrest dvd and this has the single overhead dvd. Not sure what configuration for sure I have but it looks like I have the premium Bose navigation with the center channel speaker. Is that what you were asking, or is there a way to get thes specs u need?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The configuration question had to do with the Yukon's gas mileage. I would think the remote would allow your wife to get the movie going along but you'll want to check your owner's manual or the navigation supplement, wherever it talks about such.

Merry Christmas btw!

OP
OP
scot moore

scot moore

Reaction score
Oh it is the Yukon Denali with the 6.2 flex fuel option E85 not the xl, just the shorter one

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne