compressor slugging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace my ac tensioner. I have since found out it failed because of compressor slugging. From a response I got in one of my other threads http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/leaking-thermostat-housing.93332/#post-1119324 , I see that some may not have heard of AC slugging before. Here's a video of what's going on (it's not my video, but the same thing is happening on mine).

I am now suspecting that the coolant leak at the thermostat may have dripped onto the compressor and got into the bearings. I'll have to check the pulley and see if there is any slack, but is looking like I'll be getting a new AC compressor soon. :mad:

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the compressor, drier, and orifice tube. Due to time constraints I'm having a shop install the parts. It may be forthe better. It is sounding like the compressor was the easy part of the job. apparently the orifice tube broke off inside the tube.
The good news is I got this done before any calastrophies. There was no metal in the recovered refridgerent.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slugging the compressor is actually when you run the a/c (home or automotive) when the outside ambient temp is below a certain * (say 50*) it slows the movement of feon and kills the compressor.....

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Slugging the compressor is actually when you run the a/c (home or automotive) when the outside ambient temp is below a certain * (say 50*) it slows the movement of feon and kills the compressor.....

In a way. It's not only temperature that can lead to slugging. "slugging" it when liquid refrigerant makes it back into the compressor. If there's enough of it, the compressor is toast, as you can't compress liquid freon.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a way. It's not only temperature that can lead to slugging. "slugging" it when liquid refrigerant makes it back into the compressor. If there's enough of it, the compressor is toast, as you can't compress liquid freon.

I knew it was something like that....lol... thanks nate...;)

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the compressor, drier, and orifice tube. Due to time constraints I'm having a shop install the parts. It may be forthe better. It is sounding like the compressor was the easy part of the job. apparently the orifice tube broke off inside the tube.
The good news is I got this done before any calastrophies. There was no metal in the recovered refridgerent.

I'm not sure how they would've checked for metal in the recovered refrigerant but when they removed the orfice tube they definitely would've found metal there if there was any at all.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how they would've checked for metal in the recovered refrigerant but when they removed the orfice tube they definitely would've found metal there if there was any at all.
Not being an AC guyI wouldn't know how they could tell either.
However, they did replace the orifice take so I guess they were able to see that way.

OP
OP
L

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM has explained that the liquid coolant makes its way into the compressor because the compressor is at the lowest point in the system. However, my Mercury has the compressor at the bottom as well and this has never happened.

M1Gunner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM has explained that the liquid coolant makes its way into the compressor because the compressor is at the lowest point in the system. However, my Mercury has the compressor at the bottom as well and this has never happened.

That's inaccurate. They do not sludge from being at the bottom of the system. If that was truly the case, then in theory EVERY one of our bow tie's kon's and esky's would be experiencing this.

If oil is making its way to the compressor in our system then it is due to either improper servicing or a failed accumulator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne