Come along with NORCAL SS on a Lowering escapade on a 2011 Tahoe.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Customer had a 2011 tahoe and wanted a kit where front is minor drop while rear is about a 2 inch drop. So i set him up with this kit (did not need camber bushings because only .5 drop in front)

http://www.tbssowners.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=187

For the 2 inch drop set ups I use the suburban rear springs from belltech better ride due to spring rate plus he will load up truck so helper bags worked perfect.

After lowering was 34.5 frong and 35.5 rear. Just a little clean drop and this is what you end up with.
20150725_135702.jpg

BUT HOW DID WE GET TO THAT FINISHED LOOK??? Well come along for a lowering escape with Tony.

Ok first thing you will need to do is put the frame on jackstands and have the rear end hang freely and then put the floor jack under the rear end to support it. Next thing you will need to do is pop off the shocks which held on by 21mm nuts/bolts. The top can be a little pain sometimes so be patient.

Next on the list you want to make sure you pop off the sensor lines on both sides of the frame rails. If you dont do this and drop the rear end you can damage them. So you want these things to look like this
20150725_103129%201.jpg

Next before you drop the rear end you want to make sure to take the brake cable line off the diff with the 13mm socket. Once again if you dont do this and drop the rear end you can snap the line which ive seen a few people do. Heres what the bracket looks like taken off.
20150725_103152.jpg

Last but not least use a 3/4 inch wrench on inside nut and use 18mm socket to take the endlink nuts off
20150725_104059.jpg

Now you can drop the rear end and it will come down far enough where the springs you can just pull out
20150725_104309.jpg

On this customers truck he wanted airlift helper bags installed. When doing these bags you will need to open up the top rubber isolators. If you do not do this when pressure is applied to them they will cruch the airline in the small hole so i just open it up like this.
20150725_104835.jpg

Now its time to slide the bag into the coils. Just collapse the bag in halfs and then put the rubber cover back on the air inlet. This prevents air getting sucked in. Now fish the helper bag in the coil. REMEMBER THE AIRBAG SITS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE SPRINGS SO THE SPRINGS HAVE TO HAVE THE CLOSER COILS UP TOP AND WIDER COILS ON BOTTOM
20150725_111723.jpg
20150725_111734.jpg
20150725_111743.jpg
20150725_111758.jpg
20150725_111942.jpg
20150725_105537.jpg

So you put the coils back in and you run them thru the top and pass side i go back and zip tie on metal lines and then route over spare tire to drivers side gas tank door area and then on drivers same thing. Drill a hole and mount your fill valves
20150725_113206.jpg

Pop off old bumpstops and put in the new ones that come with the kit. The pull right out and new ones you push right in.
20150725_113403.jpg
20150725_113424.jpg

Now onto the front. Lift truck up put frame on jackstands and take tires off. Next unloosen both side swaybar links with 15mm socket and then take off the 18mm nuts on the top engine bay compartment.
20150725_122724.jpg

You will then push down on the lower a arm and the strut/spring assembly come right out. NOT THE RED LINE UP TOP. MAKE SURE TO MARK LOCATION OF TOP MOUNT SO UNIT WILL GO BACK SAME WAY
20150725_122743.jpg
20150725_122746.jpg

THIS NEXT PART IS IMPORTANT. IF YOU DONT DO THIS YOU CAN LOSE YOUR FINGERS/FACE/**** ETC IF THE SPRING POPS OUT. YOU NEED A SPRING COMPRESSOR. Set spring compressor up to hold the spring and then zip off the 18mm nut on top. i just lay the strut on the ground facing away from me so if it pops open it wil go either to left or right side of me
20150725_130641.jpg

i put the new belltech bumpstop in top mount
20150725_124034.jpg

Figure out how many spacers you will use on belltech drop strut then put it all back together and tighten top nut. Then take the lower brackets off old strut and put it onto the new strut and use a 15mm socket to tighten it up
20150725_132436.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
NORCAL SS

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hit or miss. That's why they include it. Belltech drop struts will lower 2.5 inches over stock.

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. I'm lowered 3" in the front and luckily my truck aligned fine. I still don't understand how the top of the spring doesn't crush the air line. There must be something I'm missing...

Last edited:
OP
OP
NORCAL SS

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Spindkes and drop struts is totally different than using drop struts aline

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spindkes and drop struts is totally different than using drop struts aline

I'm running spindles and coil relocators and I just barely had enough adjustment in the front end to get it aligned, but I made it. How do the air lines not get crushed between the top of the springs and the body once the weight of the truck is let down? Also, do you ever tee both air lines together to use one fill valve so the bags fill evenly, or is it best to run each line individually with two fill valves so you can adjust each side independently?

Last edited:
OP
OP
NORCAL SS

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Belltech had a new spindle for 3 or more drop. No probs aligning

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

I'm running spindles and coil relocators and I just barely had enough adjustment in the front end to get it aligned, but I made it. How do the air lines not get crushed between the top of the springs and the body once the weight of the truck is let down? Also, do you ever tee both air lines together to use one fill valve so the bags fill evenly, or is it best to run each line individually with two fill valves so you can adjust each side independently?

The body sits way above frame and due to body mounts it doesn't move really. I never tee the lines always run it with individual set up

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Belltech had a new spindle for 3 or more drop. No probs aligning

---------- Post added at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:13 PM ----------

The body sits way above frame and due to body mounts it doesn't move really. I never tee the lines always run it with individual set up

Okay, let me rephrase my question. "Body" wasn't the right word since the top of the rear springs rest in a pocket attached to a frame cross member, and not against the body. How do the air lines not get crushed between the top of the rear springs and the upper spring perch once the rear suspension is loaded?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, let me rephrase my question. "Body" wasn't the right word since the top of the rear springs rest in a pocket attached to a frame cross member, and not against the body. How do the air lines not get crushed between the top of the rear springs and the upper spring perch once the rear suspension is loaded?

The very first picture in this thread should give you an idea of how the coil sits in the spring perch and where the line goes up the center and in between he frame and body.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57684

Hope that helped

My question is. How much does that bag help? It looks very small.

Nice job Tony

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep