Cold air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05Zsvntyfun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay so being that I'm on a budget. I want a cold air intake but the stock box does a well enough job with cold air. So all I need to do is the intake tube and the cheapest I've seen is 100 for just a tube. Has anyone made their own? Or found a good replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmeachem

Reaction score
Okay so being that I'm on a budget. I want a cold air intake but the stock box does a well enough job with cold air. So all I need to do is the intake tube and the cheapest I've seen is 100 for just a tube. Has anyone made their own? Or found a good replacement

I've seen people mod the ebay knock off spectre intake tube to fit the stock box, and others go with the airaid mit.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
People have built them from PVC pipe or heavy duty flexible dryer vent. Or like @mmeachem said, make the $50 eBay one fit.

OP
OP
05Zsvntyfun

05Zsvntyfun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay I'll truck the eBay kit. Thank you guys

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Heard the engine heats up the pvc and it releases toxic gasses into the motor. Not sure how toxic or how much but I would steer away from it.
ABS is the only way if building your own.
Unless you go with an aluminum tube.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heard the engine heats up the pvc and it releases toxic gasses into the motor. Not sure how toxic or how much but I would steer away from it.
ABS is the only way if building your own.
Unless you go with an aluminum tube.

No doubt PVC off-gasses when heated. But, does this really affect the motor? The motor is already pumping much stronger gasses and chemicals just with the gasoline and whatever additives it contains, including upwards of 85% Ethanol (which is an alcohol and is corrosive to aluminum). Sure, humans should avoid breathing in the PVC vapors, but just as much as they should avoid breathing in gasoline vapors, too.

I agree with using ABS. I find that it's easier than PVC to work with when softening it with heat to reshape it. Plus, ABS pipe and cement is just as available as PVC stuff in the plumbing sections and it's already black like the mass-produced ABS intake tubes.

The only real hurdle is adapting the standard pipe sizes to the MAF and TB inlet diameters.

Last edited: