Cold air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I cut my stock intake into pieces and tossed it. Wouldn't even bother selling it on CL. Damn that's a lot of $$$ for a plastic choker for your engine.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
How's It Running now?
Using paper filter or flat k&n with stock box?
Maybe try the mit

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have been using this kit from Spectra for about 6 months and had no issues.
https://www.spectreperformance.com/search/product.aspx?prod=9900

Also i saw that post where the intake pipe was heat wrapped, does that really make a big difference?

No. Two reasons: The air passing through the tube isn't in there long enough to absorb any heat from the tube and there's no real surface area inside the smooth tube for the air to collect and absorb heat. If the inside of the tube were covered with metal fins that were heated by conduction, then the air would be slowed from colliding with the heated fins and the air itself would heat up.

Your intake air doesn't get heated from the tube being heated, it gets it from the hot air it sucks in from the engine bay. Replace that Spectre filter and practically useless "heat shield" with an actual air box that isolates the intake air from the engine bay, and you'll see cooler IATs which means less ignition retard which means more power. If you still have your stock air box, that would be a great upgrade since it'll be a direct bolt-in and it's designed to pull in air from outside the engine bay. There's a pic in a recent and similar thread where a member used a tube like yours with his stock air box.

MrMiller

Reaction score
No. Two reasons: The air passing through the tube isn't in there long enough to absorb any heat from the tube and there's no real surface area inside the smooth tube for the air to collect and absorb heat. If the inside of the tube were covered with metal fins that were heated by conduction, then the air would be slowed from colliding with the heated fins and the air itself would heat up.

Your intake air doesn't get heated from the tube being heated, it gets it from the hot air it sucks in from the engine bay. Replace that Spectre filter and practically useless "heat shield" with an actual air box that isolates the intake air from the engine bay, and you'll see cooler IATs which means less ignition retard which means more power. If you still have your stock air box, that would be a great upgrade since it'll be a direct bolt-in and it's designed to pull in air from outside the engine bay. There's a pic in a recent and similar thread where a member used a tube like yours with his stock air box.

Awesome! I do in fact has the stock intake system. Thanks for the knowledge.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome! I do in fact has the stock intake system. Thanks for the knowledge.

Yup. The stock design flows more than enough CFM than what the engine can pull in at max RPM, ducts air from outside the engine bay and has a filter that is found everywhere and is easily replaced. It's flow is just hindered a little bit by the muffler chambers and flex coupler in the intake tube between the MAF sensor and throttle body. But, that was a small sacrifice made by engineers in favor of quieting the intake growl because not everyone likes to hear the motor.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Damn bro I hope you didn't pay that price