Cold air intake? Yea or nay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
So, you basically have what you get with the MIT, but for ~$75 less. Rock on.

Exactly. I really think the AIRRAID is over priced.

It's been on the truck for a few weeks now, there is a definite pedal responsiveness, and the sound is great at WOT.

its kinda annoying though at 3k-3800, so I might wrap it with some heat insulation, and hope that it muffles a bit of that half throttle drone.

But with the windows down, and tromping on it, its a lot of fun.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I really think the AIRRAID is over priced.

It's been on the truck for a few weeks now, there is a definite pedal responsiveness, and the sound is great at WOT.

its kinda annoying though at 3k-3800, so I might wrap it with some heat insulation, and hope that it muffles a bit of that half throttle drone.

For what it is material- and production-wise, I agree that the price is steep. But, they know that there aren't any other comparable options other than what you did, and even then not everyone is mechanically inclined enough to do that. I just waited and kept my eyes peeled for an MIT to pop up for sale. Not long after that, a found one on craigslist for $60 and bought it for my buddy's truck. I wanted the factory appearance of the black plastic. Otherwise, I would've done what you did. I can't say I hear any droning with mine, but different materials (aluminum vs. ABS tube) are gonna resonate differently. Performance-wise, I'd say there's virtually no difference. What intake kit is your tube from? Maybe someone could see if just the tube and couplers are available from that manufacturer for less than the MIT. It could be a way for people on a budget to have a legitimate performance mod without resorting to house plumbing or a hot air intake off of eBay.

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I think the aluminum does resonate a bit more, but all in all, it really doesn't bother me, but maybe 5% of the time I'm driving. No change at all to cruising noise, and at WOT, the truck just sounds more open.

It was really just a spectre knockoff kit from eBay

it comes and goes in different variations and colors on there, and I used an eBay coupon when I bought mine. I had researched every possible way to get it, and since PVC isn't really safe, I had decided on aluminum or ABS plastic. in talking with @05Single we had discussed various cost effective ways at reaching the goal, even using sand in some ABS, and heating it to bend ourselves, but the cost was too good to pass up for me.

Minor modification I made was to cut the mounting bracket off the tube that mounts it to the "CAI" shield, but other than that just sealed it up with the screw clamps.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the aluminum does resonate a bit more, but all in all, it really doesn't bother me, but maybe 5% of the time I'm driving. No change at all to cruising noise, and at WOT, the truck just sounds more open.

It was really just a spectre knockoff kit from eBay

it comes and goes in different variations and colors on there, and I used an eBay coupon when I bought mine. I had researched every possible way to get it, and since PVC isn't really safe, I had decided on aluminum or ABS plastic. in talking with @05Single we had discussed various cost effective ways at reaching the goal, even using sand in some ABS, and heating it to bend ourselves, but the cost was too good to pass up for me.

Minor modification I made was to cut the mounting bracket off the tube that mounts it to the "CAI" shield, but other than that just sealed it up with the screw clamps.

Easy peasy. I'd like to see if the OP or anyone else researching this follows suit.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wrap it with header tape in whatever color you want and you're good to go.

vocabsr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I looked at them, 2 things.

1) your TB is a 4" hole, so get a 4" pipe.
2) those accordion type pipes still create a lot of turbulence inside, while it might be ok for a short distance, I wouldn't really want one in there, especially when you can do it with one straight pipe. View attachment 79699

Hello, I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Have you gotten any codes from this set up? Do you remember the name of the CIA kit on ebay or happen to have a link? Thanks

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Hello, I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Have you gotten any codes from this set up? Do you remember the name of the CIA kit on ebay or happen to have a link? Thanks
I posted a link just a few messages up, I'm on mobile now, so I can't retrieve it as easily.

No codes, left the MAF alone.

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted a link just a few messages up, I'm on mobile now, so I can't retrieve it as easily.

No codes, left the MAF alone.
Did you use the filter it came with, or leave the stock one. Right now I just have the cheapest one advanced auto sold, it's that square one that lays flat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons