Cold air intake? Yea or nay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I know it would take some additional hardware to get it plumbed into the filter box but I'd like to hear from someone who did it. This would allow the engine to draw air from the pressure bubble that forms at the base of the windshield while at highway speeds. Some of the muscle cars of the 60s and 70s had functional cowl induction. NASCAR uses the same theory but taps into the defroster intake just below the windshield. This can cause a bit more noise in the cockpit though.
unless you are constantly over 90mph, I can't imagine this being the case. Even the Cowl inductions of the muscle cars of old weren't able to utilize this. Nascar, yes, but we are talking about 120+mph

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it would take some additional hardware to get it plumbed into the filter box but I'd like to hear from someone who did it. This would allow the engine to draw air from the pressure bubble that forms at the base of the windshield while at highway speeds. Some of the muscle cars of the 60s and 70s had functional cowl induction. NASCAR uses the same theory but taps into the defroster intake just below the windshield. This can cause a bit more noise in the cockpit though.
So you would take it from the cowl to the filter box and then back to the throttle body? Seems like a long trip.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also the old muscle cars had an air filter sitting on top of a carb which is a better scenario for this than our setup.

nofaz

Reaction score
Theoretically, you could pull the air out at the front of the hood as the entire scoop would be pressurized at speed. This would make the connection to the air box considerably shorter. I was hoping that there was someone here as crazy as I was that knew how to fabricate and had put a cowl induction hood to its proper use! Thanks for the replies.

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
What about these things?
View attachment 79642

I looked at them, 2 things.

1) your TB is a 4" hole, so get a 4" pipe.
2) those accordion type pipes still create a lot of turbulence inside, while it might be ok for a short distance, I wouldn't really want one in there, especially when you can do it with one straight pipe. IMAG1998.jpg

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at them, 2 things.

1) your TB is a 4" hole, so get a 4" pipe.
2) those accordion type pipes still create a lot of turbulence inside, while it might be ok for a short distance, I wouldn't really want one in there, especially when you can do it with one straight pipe. View attachment 79699
Did you buy a whole intake kit and use just the pipe?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic