Cold Air Intake question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jarthead

Reaction score
Has anyone heard that a CAI can cause worse gas mileage and possibly warp intake valves in below freezing weather, cause cat damage, etc. I was thinking of picking up and K&N setup, but now I am having second thoughts with another cold midwest winter right around the corner... would appreciate your thoughts.

Volant1

Volant guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get worse mpg if you have a heavy foot, big wheels, dual exhaust or mods that dont mesh well together. just remember its save gas OR go fast! As for the motor damage the only way this is possible is if the unit was damaged, the filter is damaged, you run the truck with a check light, hydro lock etc, With a big name brand kit like K&N I dont see this being a issue maybe a cheapo ebay kit or something hand made from home depot. When the tempature drops super low a CAI is not going to lower your AIT's anymore than your factory system would

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get worse mpg if you have a heavy foot, big wheels, dual exhaust or mods that dont mesh well together. just remember its save gas OR go fast! As for the motor damage the only way this is possible is if the unit was damaged, the filter is damaged, you run the truck with a check light, hydro lock etc, With a big name brand kit like K&N I dont see this being a issue maybe a cheapo ebay kit or something hand made from home depot. When the tempature drops super low a CAI is not going to lower your AIT's anymore than your factory system would

Interesting...
What is considered super low...

Volant1

Volant guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
after about 30F but were in Cali so anything below that is what we have heard from our dealers

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard that a CAI can cause worse gas mileage and possibly warp intake valves in below freezing weather, cause cat damage, etc. I was thinking of picking up and K&N setup, but now I am having second thoughts with another cold midwest winter right around the corner... would appreciate your thoughts.

I got a CAI on my 08 Tahoe LTZ and noticed a slight drop in my MPG... it sounded cool and supposedly helped when I got a BB Tune but all in all, the MPG's went down... maybe it's because I had a heavy foot.

domin8

Just Plinking
Reaction score
Highland Park, IL. Transplant from SLC, UT to redu
I'm noticing a slight drop in mpg too. I went from 14.9 to 14.6 average. I have the GM Performance CAI. I also had a CAI on my 06 Cobalt SS Supercharged for many years. I drove that car everywhere, and in all sorts of weather, even in temps as cold as -20*F. Never had a problem with it.

OP, if you're so concerned about damage a CAI may, or may not, cause, don't get one. Just be aware that if GM was concerned they wouldn't offer a CAI and back it by a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty. My only advice to you is to get get one that has a dryflow filter. Oiled filters, such as K&N and Injen tend to gunk up the MAF.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

jarthead

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I may pull back on this one and just go for the resonator delete with SLP tip and call it a day! Just got my Yuk and want to get her looking good. I drive a lot on a daily basis with work and kids and want to try to eek out the best mileage I can.

Faceplant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More air = more fuel. Only a very conservative tune (which would negate the advantage of the intake) would increase MPG. I did the SLP res. delete and love it, not sure if I will even bother with a CAI or RAI due to the fact that I am more concerned with efficiency than power in my DD. I may, however, get a Black Bear tune to get a little performance AND efficiency back from the factory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarkHearse