Cold air intake options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the red elbows were a bit much but I wasn't going to say anything!

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
Yeah it was a bit much. But for that price I wasn't going to complain. Untill I found out the was a choice. Red ,blue and black. Wish I seen that the first time !!

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
Ordered the black one OCD was insane !! I am going to paint the chrome intake tube black and get some black header wrap. I did another drive to Erie PA. and noticed the tube was on the hot side when I got there. I am going to be adding a tube from the lower bumper area up up the air filter to feed it a bit more air, I see some other kits do that as part of there kit. I have a big truck shop next door to my work and grabbed a turbo inter cooler tube and squished it to an oval, now I need to mount it and see how well it works. I am sure I won't see or feel a difference but it will get more fresh air.
Pic's will follow when I get it done.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys that can get 15...congrats. With my aggressive BBP tune on my 6.0 and the fact I seem to feel the need to beat every single car all the time, I get around 12 but that's almost all city driving. But it's damn fun city driving.
First we are going to have a hell of a time if we ever meet at a light. 2nd, I get 11mpg city no matter if I drive like there is an egg between my foot and the pedal..so I driven like I'm late all the time and get 10 lol. What kind of hwy mileage u getting? I'm running the airaid MIT with factory modded airbox and dry filter. Can't seem to get better than 14hwy which doesn't seem right since my stall is in lockup at that point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
When I got tunned I asked for a towing tune. But he gave me everything he had on regular pump gas. I said so much for the miliage. He said it will give me the power I want and be no worse than the 5.3. He was right. And then I put the 22" on. Now that it's been a few months and put some miles on it. 14 city 17 highway. And that's not grandma driving. That's having fun and messing around. Let's see what happens now that the cooler weather is coming. My friends are complaining already there miliage is dropping a bit.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First we are going to have a hell of a time if we ever meet at a light. 2nd, I get 11mpg city no matter if I drive like there is an egg between my foot and the pedal..so I driven like I'm late all the time and get 10 lol. What kind of hwy mileage u getting? I'm running the airaid MIT with factory modded airbox and dry filter. Can't seem to get better than 14hwy which doesn't seem right since my stall is in lockup at that point.

Best I got since my mods was a full tank of all highway driving and it was 14.2. My last tank was 11.1 with a bit of highway mixed in with almost all city.

Countryboy07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I should be happy about my 17.2 all highway mileage then! That was on our trip down to GA last month

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best I got since my mods was a full tank of all highway driving and it was 14.2. My last tank was 11.1 with a bit of highway mixed in with almost all city.
I'm going to add a wideband. It's weird we are getting the same fuel mileage and are both bb tuned. I've data logged with my autocal trying to see any rich conditions. My truck is barely turning 18-1900 rpm at 70-75mph with 3.42 gears. Even with the cam and full bolt ons it seems like it should be better. I do have 44lb injectors. I don't think the AIRAID intake could be a restriction and should flow well enough...is this normal is my question?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to add a wideband. It's weird we are getting the same fuel mileage and are both bb tuned. I've data logged with my autocal trying to see any rich conditions. My truck is barely turning 18-1900 rpm at 70-75mph with 3.42 gears. Even with the cam and full bolt ons it seems like it should be better. I do have 44lb injectors. I don't think the AIRAID intake could be a restriction and should flow well enough...is this normal is my question?

I'm not sure if it's normal, but I do drive with a real heavy foot even on the freeway. That only real trip I did where I got that 14.2 was in extremely heavy rain where everybody wanted to drive 55 in a 65 zone, and I was doing 75-80 but had to keep dodging in and out of lanes to do that. It was a lot of on and off the throttle. And I do have 26" rims. I haven't got a chance to do any other serious highway driving. And the way I drive in the city, it's a miracle that I get 10 to 11.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbr1287