Cold air intake options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chip18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 03 with 4.8, using the GPS, I hit 103. Wouldn't go any faster, guess the fuel cutoff kicked in .There's a thread on here somewhere if you're interested about top speed .
LOL well thanks for that! The tires are not rated for 100 mph ... good to know!

From what I saw, I think the Police AWD's were good for 119 and the PPS 2wd 122 mph?? I thought speed limiter "meant" it would not exceed the speed rating of the tires ... 98 mph ... apparently ... such is not the case??

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or get a tune and have that limit removed. Along with torque management etc. The factory tunes and limitations are a joke.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
LOL well thanks for that! The tires are not rated for 100 mph ... good to know!

From what I saw, I think the Police AWD's were good for 119 and the PPS 2wd 122 mph?? I thought speed limiter "meant" it would not exceed the speed rating of the tires ... 98 mph ... apparently ... such is not the case??
Who wants to live forever anyway? Lol:driver:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread made me take a look at speed ratings on my tires. I remembered a few years back I had some "z" rated tires which were supposedly the highest speed rating, "in excess of 149 mph". But now I see they have added another identifier to designate how much in excess. As you can see in my picture, mine are rated "305/30ZR26 109W". The 109W indicates load=109 rating or 2271 lbs and the W is the speed rating in excess of 149 mph which is actually 168 mph for these tires.It doesn't look like I'll be able to exceed that even with the limit removed from my PCM. LOL!

IMG_5745.JPG

Chip18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who wants to live forever anyway? Lol:driver:
LOL ... I admire your "attitude" but ... "physics" are "physics" the stock tires on our Denali's (2004) are S rated all terrain tires (stock.)

Hmm, looks like GM may have fudged a bit I see a S rating as good for 112?? I would not want to press that however! If you exceed the speed rating of a tire you damage the sidewalls. Most of my cars have H rated tires, the tires are rated for the top speed the vehicle is capable of. So "H" rated tires are good for 125 mph. On my 951 (944 Turbo S) it's tire are "V" rated 156 mph, the ones I have were an odd duck ... they were rated good to 176 mph. I've only had it up to 140 ... when it ran ... another story. :)

At any rate I have "apparently" no idea what the true "Top Speed" is on this beast ...but I don't plan on finding out with S rated tire on it! Gotta watch that right pressure while passing! :)

Chip18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread made me take a look at speed ratings on my tires. I remembered a few years back I had some "z" rated tires which were supposedly the highest speed rating, "in excess of 149 mph". But now I see they have added another identifier to designate how much in excess. As you can see in my picture, mine are rated "305/30ZR26 109W". The 109W indicates load=109 rating or 2271 lbs and the W is the speed rating in excess of 149 mph which is actually 168 mph for these tires.It doesn't look like I'll be able to exceed that even with the limit removed from my PCM. LOL!

View attachment 67144
Aww don't be like that! All it takes is $$$$ and HP! The 850 Hp Pro Charger kit and a place to run flat out are all you need.

http://www.silverstateclassic.com/

But to be fair the PPV seem to be 2wd??? They have a higher top speed that the AWD's versions ... I say ... let it rain and the road get twisty and then see which one is faster. :)

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL ... I admire your "attitude" but ... "physics" are "physics" the stock tires on our Denali's (2004) are S rated all terrain tires (stock.)

Hmm, looks like GM may have fudged a bit I see a S rating as good for 112?? I would not want to press that however! If you exceed the speed rating of a tire you damage the sidewalls. Most of my cars have H rated tires, the tires are rated for the top speed the vehicle is capable of. So "H" rated tires are good for 125 mph. On my 951 (944 Turbo S) it's tire are "V" rated 156 mph, the ones I have were an odd duck ... they were rated good to 176 mph. I've only had it up to 140 ... when it ran ... another story. :)

At any rate I have "apparently" no idea what the true "Top Speed" is on this beast ...but I don't plan on finding out with S rated tire on it! Gotta watch that right pressure while passing! :)
V rated tires are actually rated for 149 mph. There is no 176 mph rating. The W rating is 168 mph, the Y rating is 186 mph. And Z only means in excess of 149. There is one other speed rating which is (Y) in parentheses which indicated in excess of 186 mph. These high ratings are for exotic sports cars on the autobahn of course, so I'm not sure why my 26" SUV tires are rated for 168 mph!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aww don't be like that! All it takes is $$$$ and HP! The 850 Hp Pro Charger kit and a place to run flat out are all you need.

http://www.silverstateclassic.com/

But to be fair the PPV seem to be 2wd??? They have a higher top speed that the AWD's versions ... I say ... let it rain and the road get twisty and then see which one is faster. :)
I'm afraid more power won't do it, I'll run out of gears waaaay before that.

Chip18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid more power won't do it, I'll run out of gears waaaay before that.
Oh yeah ... forgot about that! More changes required! Most likely two sets of 3.08 or 2.73 gears required??? And then you'd have to have a monstrous torque curve or a "Prius" could outrun you!! Although on the 850 Pro Charger they don't give the torque spec?? I'd bet it's more that 850 however??? Sigh all it takes is cash and the real speed freaks ... don't look at this things ... kinda sad,. :(

At anyrate ... somebody needs to take one of these beast and try and trim 1500 to 2000 pounds off of them!! That ... would be awesome!!! But it won't be me. 'I'm keeping the "PIA" Auto Ride on mine even though, typically I'm a Coil Over kinda guy. :)

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
OCD kicked in. Didn't know I could have ordered the air in take in black. So I ordered another one ! In black !!
Good thing is I sold the other one already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts